Wound strings and Eleukes

Zakulele

Reaction score
I have a tenor eleuke, and I was wondering if any one has used one with a set of strings that have a single wound string.

well, is an eleuke any good? i know it sounds silly but i've been working a lot with distortion, but my acoustic electric sometimes starts to sound like a banjo, I'm pretty sure it could work to aa better degree, ii think it's cause of the pick up, i wanted to try a solid body with the distortion, but the eleukes come with nylon strings. And i can't find steel ukulele strings in this town either so... I'm not sure what i should do

well, is an eleuke any good? i know it sounds silly but i've been working a lot with distortion, but my acoustic electric sometimes starts to sound like a banjo, I'm pretty sure it could work to aa better degree, ii think it's cause of the pick up, i wanted to try a solid body with the distortion, but the eleukes come with nylon strings. And i can't find steel ukulele strings in this town either so... I'm not sure what i should do

I have a steel string solidbody made by jupiter creek for sale, check the uke marketplace.

and as far as it sounding banjo-ey you probably have a really hot signal and should either (if ur a/e has a preamp) try adjusting your tone, if no preamps there I usually just adjust my treble bass and mid nobs on my amp till it sounds alright.

well, is an eleuke any good?
Yes, Eleukes are fun instruments, but solid-body ukes don't sound like an acoustic by any means. they sound like amplified, nylon-string guitars.
And i can't find steel ukulele strings in this town either so... I'm not sure what i should do
Nor will you. Ukes are not generally designed for the additional tension of metal strings and you can tear the bridge right off if you use them on most ukes.​

thanks

hey thanks guys, i'll check out that jupiter creek uke, though I'll probably won't be able to afford it. and i really had no clue about the steel strings... glad i asked beforehand

... Ukes are not generally designed for the additional tension of metal strings and you can tear the bridge right off if you use them on most ukes.​

ACK!!! For real?? :eek:

I have a Aquila wound low g and wound c on my Kala tenor. I am going to switch them out for not wound Worth brown low g strings just because I’m having a hard time playing the strings without making that “crrnnnkk” sound ... but I had no clue they could also be damaging to the uke!!

I have a Aquila wound low g and wound c on my Kala tenor. I am going to switch them out for not wound Worth brown low g strings just because I’m having a hard time playing the strings without making that “crrnnnkk” sound ... but I had no clue they could also be damaging to the uke!!
No, your Aquila wound low g won't damage your uke. It is not a steel string, the winding is over a filament or silk core.

ichadwick was referring to steel strings like those made for an acoustic guitar or mandolin. They are built with tops designed to take much higher tension than a uke or a classical guitar. Using steel strings on an instrument not designed for them can indeed cause major damage.

As far as the extra noise a wound string can make, is this when fingerpicking? If so, it's probably the angle of your strike. Your fingernail should not be sliding across the windings.

Electric ukes are a lot of fun :D
There ARE steel-string eleukes for sale, and also strings (designed for the steel string ukes of course)

There is a really nice one offered by Risa:
Soprano steel string electric uke
Tenor steel string electric uke.
I'm saving up for the Tenor one, though I might just wait for the new Les Paul body one they're developing :D

My current eleuke is a Risa Uke-Solid soprano.
Brilliant stuff capable of so much!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqQWon71do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NX7vs2I1M
They're also available at http://www.ukulele.de

Though I heard that wound strings may not be a good idea on some nylon-strung eleukes. The saddle might be softer than for acoustic ukes and cause wear.

Last edited:
As far as the extra noise a wound string can make, is this when fingerpicking? If so, it's probably the angle of your strike. Your fingernail should not be sliding across the windings.

I think their talking about the sound the left hand makes when moving up and down the strings (fingerprints sliding against grooved/wound surface). It happens on the wound strings (same thing on the guitar strings 4-6). Sometimes you get used to it. But it is very obvious to both player and listener. It is very difficult to avoid. You would have to lift up your fingers completly off the strings every time you moved up or down the fretboard.

–Lori

I've always felt it adds to the music lol

Top Bottom