PDA

View Full Version : my hammer on's are quiet! help!

shores&hammocks
06-28-2009, 02:58 PM
so i learned hammer on's today, and they're relatively easy to execute. except when i do so, i get a really, really, really faint twang. it's really hard to hear, and if there's background noise it's impossible. when i watch videos on youtube like OOHKULELE's so wonderful tutorial, or aldrine's ukeminute's hammer tutorial, they're "twang" is really noticeable. how come mine isn't? thanks!

whetu
06-28-2009, 04:18 PM
You've gotta walk before you can run. Just keep practicing and practicing, your hammer ons will develop, improve and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

For some people it's about fingertip development, for others it's getting the right amount of force... I've seen guys who've played the guitar for decades do hammer ons that would dent concrete. Don't expect that kind of power to happen overnight :)

E-Lo Roberts
06-29-2009, 05:38 AM
so i learned hammer on's today, and they're relatively easy to execute. except when i do so, i get a really, really, really faint twang. it's really hard to hear, and if there's background noise it's impossible. when i watch videos on youtube like OOHKULELE's so wonderful tutorial, or aldrine's ukeminute's hammer tutorial, they're "twang" is really noticeable. how come mine isn't? thanks!

Shores, don't know what level of playing your at. The more advanced you are, the easier this techqunie will be to master. A possible cause of the quiet response might be in the actual sustain of your uke. That is, I have a number of ukes. The one that sustains (in general) notes longer translates into much better hammer on response and volume.

i.e. A dull or dead sounding uke makes it very hard to bring those hammer ons to life. Just a thought...good luck and keep practicing...e.lo...

cpatch
06-29-2009, 06:32 AM
The trick is to make sure you're using your fingertip, make sure you're hitting close to the fret, and make sure you're using enough force (and make sure you practice, of course). With respect to using enough force, you don't have to raise your finger too far above the fretboard before hammering on...in fact you don't want to because it can hamper accuracy and speed.

Link
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
E-Lo makes a good point about the uke itself. My first uke didn't o hammer-ons or pull-offs very well. My Mainland does them okay, and my Flea barely takes any effort.

But seeing as how you just learned it... keep practicing and you'll improve it.