Low G tuning

si.lindley.uk

Reaction score
Hi everybody, im a beginner uke player (2months), i have a kala ka-st spruce top with aquila strings. I really want to play it with a low g but i cannont yet tune by ear and rely on my little cherub tuner. Are there any tuners that will tune to a low g as surely if i use my current tuner it will tune to a high g and stretch the stri

Tune the others first and then fret the G string fifth fret and match it to the C string.

Both of my Ukulele's are low G and I have stardard clip on LED tuners that tune for Low G. If you need a make and model I find it for you but any digital one should do it...

I have it in standars tuning with a high g string at the moment but I have some low g strings ready to put on. I will try holding on the fith fret, will i have to match by ear or will it be the same frequency as the c note on my tuner. A low g digital tuner would be really helpful if you could provide a model, thanks

I have it in standars tuning with a high g string at the moment but I have some low g strings ready to put on. I will try holding on the fith fret, will i have to match by ear or will it be the same frequency as the c note on my tuner. A low g digital tuner would be really helpful if you could provide a model, thanks

I use the same clip on digital tuner for both my low g and my high G ukuleles. The only difference is that one has a low g string and the other has high G. A regular tuner should work as long as you put the low g string on it.

ok so i have put on my new wound low g string and tuned it the same as the the fith fret c string and it sounds auful when i strum complelely out of tune and the low g is much louder then the other strings and the note continues for much longer. what have i done wrong please help as my uke is unplayable

If they are new strings, then they will need some time to stretch out and break in before they hold tune. A regular chromatic tuner should be able to tune low g with no problems. With one, you can tune anything from a bass guitar to a uke and beyond. If you are using a pitch pipe or something that only plays the tones of gCEA, you can use the high g pitch to to help get your low g in tune if you have a good ear. If none of these work, fret the low G on the 5th fret, which is a C note. Play that note and the C string open. Tune the low g string until both the G and C string are the same pitch.

As for the low g string itself, if it is wound, it will typically be louder and ring more. This is common. From my experience, a low g has a little bit more volume and sustain than the others.

Top Bottom