PDA

View Full Version : Lucy's Vintage Ukulele strings

Kite
06-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I found these during my search for some colored strings. But I can't find anywhere to buy them, my searches only bring up Lucy's colored pegs (which are nice but I'm looking for strings right now).

Anyone know where I can get a pack of these strings? Or even any other colored strings?:confused:

Just trying to spruce up my cheap, blue Mahalo uke haha

Ahnko Honu
06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
What color you want? Ko'olaus are gold, Kalas are red, Aquilas are white, Worths are brown, Hilos are black, etc.

06-29-2009, 08:04 AM
i found some of the soprano strings at gryphon strings in palo alto.

Kite
06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Yea I've looked at all of those, not really sure if my uke is worthy of aquilas heh. So Kala reds are my next choice if I can't find these Lucy's. just looking for the aesthetic appeal.

Kite
06-29-2009, 08:10 AM
i found some of the soprano strings at gryphon strings in palo alto.

unfortunately mate I live on the east coast, CT to be specific. but I'm not too far from NYC. music stores around here don't have much ukulele related things.

Ahnko Honu
06-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Elderly is on the right coast sort of.
http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/LCUS.htm

TheWannabe90
06-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Yea I've looked at all of those, not really sure if my uke is worthy of aquilas heh. So Kala reds are my next choice if I can't find these Lucy's. just looking for the aesthetic appeal.
Not worthy? :) Aquilas are known to be really good on crappy ukes...
They make them sound a lot better

wickedwahine11
06-29-2009, 08:48 AM
If you don't mind wound strings, Guadalupe makes rainbow colored strings or I think they will make them any color you wish for (though don't quote me on that). I bought a set of the rainbow colored ones, they looked very cool (although not very classy) and sounded very nice, but I hate wound strings so they didn't last long on my uke.

http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com/

Also if you get them, be sure you don't cut the excess -- they will unravel. They are wrapped in nylon but have a metal core.

Lori
06-30-2009, 06:14 AM
If you don't mind wound strings, Guadalupe makes rainbow colored strings or I think they will make them any color you wish for (though don't quote me on that). I bought a set of the rainbow colored ones, they looked very cool (although not very classy) and sounded very nice, but I hate wound strings so they didn't last long on my uke.

http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com/

Also if you get them, be sure you don't cut the excess -- they will unravel. They are wrapped in nylon but have a metal core.

Thanks for the link... this looks like an interesting company. Hey, and they're nearby me too.
–Lori

07-22-2009, 07:39 AM
i'm doing this off memory. but this past weekend whilst on vacation i changed my 4 yr old nephew's `ohana sopranino strings from the blah looking fremont fluoro blackstrings to the lucy's rainbow strings. a little thicker than the fluoros but definitely more tension and i didn't need to tune it up a scale or two (aside from trying to break them in faster). sounded brighter and more fuller than both the fremonts and stock aquila's.