Leolani???

pippi

Reaction score
I bought a ukulele, it's my first, :eek: it's white and kidney bean shaped and says Hawaii, Leolani, OMI international Inc. po box 2342 Honolulu Hawaii 96804 under the sound hole. I couldn't figure out how to get a picture of it on here, but if by that meager description anyone can tell if it's a souvenier or the real deal; the guy I'm getting it from bought it from a bum in Nevada and says it plays...

Last edited:
They're a Chinese laminate.
My starter was a Leolani super-soprano picked out in Honolulu. I went down a line of various cheapies until I found one that sounded good. I ended up selling it to another member of the TCUO since I'd graduated to better ukes by that point.

My experience is that it was a decent starter uke. Inexpensive with decent intonation, playability and didn't really sound half bad with decent strings. It will take a little while to outgrow it and lord knows it was head and shoulders above the really cheap Mahalos.

Whether this will have any bearing on a novelty "kidney bean" shaped one, I can't say. But the one I had was perfectly acceptable for what it was.

Da infamous kidney bean 'ukulele.
03f3_1.JPG

What da Japanese call "omocha". :D

Da infamous kidney bean 'ukulele.
03f3_1.JPG

What da Japanese call "omocha". :D

Hey Brah, Ho make me laugh so hard, nuff awready!:shaka:
For those who do not understand da Pidgin English or Japanese, here's the translation: "OMOCHA" = "TOY"

Definitely more of a wall hanging than a player, but if you can get some enjoyment out of it, then more power to you! Just keep in mind that this will not be your only ukulele. :D

Nothing wrong with a cheap playable omocha 'ukulele, I'm still looking on ebay for a cheap plastic Maunaloa, Lisa, or TV Pal. I did buy a super cheap coconut shell 'ukulele for like 5 bucks but that thing had zero intonation, could not play one note no matter how it was tuned. It's a wall hanger until New Years eve when I blow it up. :D :cheers:

I didn't get it

:cool:I got out-bid on the Leolani (my first ebay experience) in the last hour, it ended up selling for more than twice what I'd bid. I was rather taken by the shape, but after reading about it's toyness qualities... I ended up buying an oscar shmidt concert uke, and it's really nice! I play bass, and thought a uke would be a similar, cuter instrument, but they are really quite different!

If you've got the one that Ahnko Honu posted, that would be a toy.

But Leolani actually makes an okay ukulele if you move upmarket in their range. It's about the equivilent of a Kala. I own two of them. Bought them at Sams Club in Honolulu, and to date, it is still the best bang for the buck that I can reccomend to anyone staring uke. $99 new, came with the laminate mahogany tenor uke, strung with aquilas, a lightweight foam hardshell case, extra set of aquilas, cheap chromatic tuner/metronome, cheap instructional book. But seriously, for the money, you cannot find a better uke deal. And it plays just fine, just as good as any laminate kala. I keep it in my dorm at school, the thing takes a beating, but still looks great, and sounds fine.

Jon,

I just picked one up at Sam's too. I had picked up a concert Lanikai at Costco but it sounded horrible at home. The Leolani sounds 100 times better. I'll be taking this one back to LA to leave in the car.

Top Bottom