MGM's stringing?

therimidalv

Reaction score
I didn't quite know where to put this but I thought here would be best. So I've always wondered how MGM string his ukes at the saddle. Its very pretty, and it seems to hold much better than any knot. Anyone, or even MGM yourself, could you maybe give a little tutorial how to string it like that at the saddle?
-Mucho thank you, Vlad

Can you show an example of what you mean?

Does it look like this?

bridge2.jpg

That's how MGM strung mine. It's simply the standard "twist" method used on classical guitars for centuries. The difference is that he leaves the "tail" long enough to pass under the adjacent string wrap, giving it a nice tidy look.

It all depends on the type of bridge that you have, and another important factor is the angle of the strings to the tuning pegs.

An nice little video covering all of these aspects is

Changing Ukulele Strings

which I found both informative and useful

I didn't quite know where to put this but I thought here would be best. So I've always wondered how MGM string his ukes at the saddle. Its very pretty, and it seems to hold much better than any knot. Anyone, or even MGM yourself, could you maybe give a little tutorial how to string it like that at the saddle?
-Mucho thank you, Vlad

Just start with your G string, leave the end a little long, when you put on the c-string, just slip the end of the g-string into the not of the c-string, then so on.

Two words:
CRAZY GLUE.*
Keeps those pesky string ends in tidy order.
*Not recommended on any uke you plan to restring in the future.

Or you could skip the knot and tie a glossy bead to the end of the string. :D

Or you could skip the knot and tie a glossy bead to the end of the string. :D
Glassy, I think you mean. As in glass beads (wehereas 'glassy' might be simply shiny and refer to a plastic bead).

Metal beads work as well, but not plastic, clay or wood. Not sure about ceramic - suppose it depends on the density of the ceramic.

I've tied beads on several ukes. Not sure if the effect is significant in terms of sound. But if nothing else, the bead gives some decorative effect.​

I string my classical guitar that way. I've never tried it on a ukulele, because I have a different type of bridge that doesn't quite lend itself to that.

Top Bottom