Must have accessories?

kellysouthpaw

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm new :) My name is Kelly and I just ordered my very first ukulele! It's a Makala Mahogany Tenor. I bought it from a reputable ukulele seller on eBay - and it's coming restrung with Aquila strings. My question is - what are the some must-have accessories for my ukulele to get me started?

Thank you! :D

Welcome to UU Kelly! Congratulations on your new purchase...you'll have a blast. The only thing you really need is a digital tuner, and maybe a case if you're going to be taking it anywhere (or if you need to protect it between practice sessions). If you haven't played before then a chord chart is a must, like one of these:

http://www.ukulele.org/downloads/Ctuning.pdf
http://www.kiwiukulele.co.nz/Kiwi-Ukulele-Chord-Chart.pdf

Finally, you'll find all kinds of songs here with chords and chord diagrams (when you find a song you like make sure you choose Ukulele-C Tuning from the Tuning list on the right):

http://www.chordie.com

Last edited:
Congrats! I just got my first uke yesterday as well (also a mahogany tenor).

My recommendations would be:

- electronic tuner
- extra strings (you never know when you might break one!)
- microfiber polishing cloth (for wiping off fingerprints - noticed the satin finish really shows prints. an old cotton t-shirt works as well)

Optional:

- string winder (nice when you're changing strings)
- crystal nail file (so much gentler on your nails than metal or the disposable ones)

And, of course, if it didn't come with one, a case of some sort. A soft "gig bag" would be fine. :)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and all of the great suggestions! I have already checked out the Kiwi Ukulele Book - Does anyone have this book? Should I buy the book or just get the free chord map? Also, what kind of picks are best? I have a horrible nail biting habit so fingernails might not always be an option...

One of the cool things about the uke is that you don't really need a lot of extra hoo-hah. Very little is "must-have".

Which brings me to...

Also, what kind of picks are best? I have a horrible nail biting habit so fingernails might not always be an option...

My personal favorite picks are simply the tips of my fingers. Fingernails are fine for those who grow them, but the mushy, non-fingernail part works just fine too.

:shaka:

JJ

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and all of the great suggestions! I have already checked out the Kiwi Ukulele Book - Does anyone have this book? Should I buy the book or just get the free chord map? Also, what kind of picks are best? I have a horrible nail biting habit so fingernails might not always be an option...
Kelly, what is your musical background? Is this your first instrument? I'm not familiar with that book, although I have to admit I'm brand new to uke myself. ;)

I do have this book. I thought the chord map was the best part of it. Most of the songs were unfamiliar to me, the best one in it was "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out."

I don't have it in front of me, I'll have to check it again, but I would say probably not worth the money I paid for it...

Thanks wicked for the advice! If the chordmap is the best part I'll just download the chordmap and save the money :)

Also - I have taught myself guitar though I admit to being mediocre at best. I know about 5 chords on guitar, can barely fingerpick...but I am pretty familiar with the guitar. I've been playing on and off for 7 years or so.

As for picks, wedgies are the best. they come in two thicknesses an three degrees of firmness. I use the thinner ones in both the soft and hard depending on what kind of song or instrument I am playing. Get a bunch because they do wear out pretty quick, and get in the habit of vacuuming the pick dust out of your uke when you re-string.

The Jumpin' Jim's series of books is great. (Jumpin' Jim is the guy who invented the Fleas and Flukes BTW)

Hi Kelly!

Welcome to our little corner of the interweb. I second everyone's recommendation of a digital tuner...and I just strum with my fingertip (no nails). Before I plop down money on a book...I would recommend you check out our local superstar's lessons. There is some seriously good stuff there that will get you on the fast track. Check out this thread: http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224

Happy uking.:music:

Aldrine has been where I've been getting most of my tips thus far! However, I will need a paper copy of a chord map for when I'm not at the computer and I need to know a chord...but if I can just get one for free then I'm all good!

I will also pick up some wedgies as well. I know for guitar picks I really prefer the thin type, but I will get a few of different kinds to feel them out.

Any recommendations for good digital tuners?

My dad had a digital tuner for a long time to help me tune the guitar by myself (I always made him tune it), but I remember having the digital tuner and having trouble figuring out how to use/read it ... does it come with instructions? haha

I will also pick up some wedgies as well. I know for guitar picks I really prefer the thin type, but I will get a few of different kinds to feel them out.

Any recommendations for good digital tuners?

Guitar picks and ukulele picks are totally different. You can use guitar picks on the uke, but the pick noise is pretty bad, and you'll wear out your strings much faster. Ukulele picks are going to be much thicker than what you're used to, but they very soft and flexible and eliminate pick noise.

A rubber chicken. :p

Guitar picks and ukulele picks are totally different. You can use guitar picks on the uke, but the pick noise is pretty bad, and you'll wear out your strings much faster. Ukulele picks are going to be much thicker than what you're used to, but they very soft and flexible and eliminate pick noise.

I don't want to wear out my nice new Aquila strings fast :( Wedgies are ukulele picks, correct?

My dad had a digital tuner for a long time to help me tune the guitar by myself (I always made him tune it), but I remember having the digital tuner and having trouble figuring out how to use/read it ... does it come with instructions? haha
They come with instructions but the current ones are pretty self-explanatory.

Also, with respect to picks, I don't know anyone who uses them for the ukulele. Just use your index finger, even with a short nail. As you learn you'll find that the lack of a pick gives you more flexibility.

i don't think you need to get a book there are lots of chord charts on the web, check out the top 50 uke sights. Also you can make your own picks out of a margerine tub lid! just the right thickness and saves money! good luck:nana:

Forget the picks for now. Learn to play with your hands. Your fingers are expressive instruments of musical passion and delight. You can try picks later, when you've had some time learning a few songs. Picks are okay, but they can also limit you.

Get a digital tuner and chord book (or at least reprint some of the uke chord charts you can find online).

You may find a strap or uke thong useful, too. Especially if you wander around the house strumming.

And (if you're old enough) get a nice bottle of wine, a comfortable place, and sit down to relax and practice. If you're a bit young for the wine, green tea fits the bill nicely.​

Top Bottom