What are your favorite Strings??

Joe-ness

Reaction score
Hey there,
Im a noob to the Uke. I've played guitar for 6 years. I got a pretty cheap uke of the internet. Want to put new strings on it.
So my question is...What are your favorite strings. and why?
-Joe

This is a really hard question to answer as so much of my string choice is circumstantially related to which instrument I am stringing, and where and how I will be playing it.

I tend to base my preferences on a combination of three criteria:

1. Playability- This has mostly to do with tension and gauge, how the strings feel under my fingers when I am playing, how hard I have to push to get clear notes. I tend to prefer lighter tension strings with a smaller gauge.

2. Sound- Clearly, what the instrument sounds like with the strings, but also how quickly they keep in tune. More specifically do they sound good when lightly finger picked and also when plugged in and hammering away with a pick.

3. Longevity- How long will these strings last being played daily under my admittedly heavy handed strumming, and will they break? I prefer my strings to last between three weeks and a month.

All these things considered:

Regarding my main player, which is a KALA mahogany tenor, if I am concerned with having the best sounding strings to play acoustic with a good loud sound and I want them to last as long as possible, I go with the GHS blacks. If I want the uke to sound great plugged in, but I am not as concerned with acoustic volume or durability my choice is the Aquila Nylgut (no wound.) The Aquilas, by the way, are also some of the softest strings around with the easiest playability in my opinion. I am also quite fond of the KALA reds for sound and playability but they probably score the lowest in longevity. I stay away from big, fat, super hard strings like D'addarios and other hard nylons like Ko'olau golds, mainly because they don't jive well with my playing style and beat the hell out of my left hand fingers.

Last edited:
Worths are quite good (and work well if your G's low)
I like my Flea with those black-colored Hilos
Aquila Nylguts provide a nice ring
These are a few of my favorite strings

JJ

Haha....
Thanks for the laughs and the info. I am most concerned with acoustic tones so I think ill give the GHS Blacks a go.
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I never liked Martin's crystal nylon, but I do like their new fishing line strings on my Flea. I have Worth Clears on my Baritone and I still haven't made my mind up about them. But the tenor Fluke gets the nylguts - sweet, sweet sound!

"These are a few of my favorite strings"

You beat me to it! Let's keep it going! You know the tune,

Worths are quite good (and work well if your G's low)
I like my Flea with those black-colored Hilos
Aquila Nylguts provide a nice ring

Aquilas on Kalas and Hilos on Ponos
(somebody help me here, I don't know all the brands)
Brown paper packages, when doorbells ring

When the boss bites
When the bank stings
When we're feeling sad
We just get our ukes and pluck on the strings
and then we don't feel soooo bad!

Last edited:
I like Aquila nygluts.

Can I give you some reasoning? Nope.

The first uke I got had basic GHS strings. The second had Aquilas. Since the second was a "step up" uke, maybe that influenced my preference. But I can tell you that when I changed the first uke over to Aquila's, it really came to life.

And I like the way they feel under my fingers.

Top Bottom