Kamaka retailers (East coast)

caz

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Kamaka retailers in the east coast, specifically New York?

I'm thinking there is a Kamaka HF-2 in my future and was curious of any good shops to visit in the area. I see from the Kamaka site that the closest retailer is in Staten Island at Mandolin Brothers music shop. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

Thanks.

Mandolin Bros. is a great store. Really friendly folks, and even though their prices are a little steep, you can probably get a good deal if you ask. Good selection of Kamakas last time I checked (along with Flukes/Fleas, and some crazy vintage stuff like a 20s Martin 5K). They specialize in mostly high-end instruments but they'll let you sit down and play absolutely anything you want and they won't harass you or stand over you. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an instrument there.

Matt Umanov Guitars down in the village (NYC) are very reliable and trusted. I have purchased from them.

Mandolin Bros. is a great store. Really friendly folks, and even though their prices are a little steep, you can probably get a good deal if you ask. Good selection of Kamakas last time I checked (along with Flukes/Fleas, and some crazy vintage stuff like a 20s Martin 5K). They specialize in mostly high-end instruments but they'll let you sit down and play absolutely anything you want and they won't harass you or stand over you. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an instrument there.

I have been meaning to go over there and play that Martin.

I played the repro of it at Umanov's and it sounded like turd.

Umanov's is a sweet store too. Definitely worth a look!

Playing the original 5K wasn't life-changing. I would've taken any of the Kamakas over it.

Umanov's is a sweet store too. Definitely worth a look!

Playing the original 5K wasn't life-changing. I would've taken any of the Kamakas over it.

See...I figured magical things would have happened. :p
That's what UAS whispers in your ear. :biglaugh:

Thanks guys. I had no idea about Umanov's. I'll probably check them out first.

I checked out Mandolin Bros and they were wonderful to deal with. Didn't buy my Kamaka there, but they let me play anything i wanted, even the vintage peanut Martin, which was a bit scary. the Kamaka I played there overshadowed everything, and I knew that was the uke for me...someday.
:bowdown:

I checked out Mandolin Bros and they were wonderful to deal with. Didn't buy my Kamaka there, but they let me play anything i wanted, even the vintage peanut Martin, which was a bit scary. the Kamaka I played there overshadowed everything, and I knew that was the uke for me...someday.
:bowdown:

Do you mean the Turturro Peanut? ;)

ooo you got me, maybe it wasn't a martin. I just remember playing a nice sounding peanut that was ancient.

Hey-- I know that peanut :)
I actually live about 10 mins from there-- maybe we should all go down and worship the 'nut? ( like whats everyone doing this afternoon, I could go for some peanut and Kamaka worship...)

In all seriousness, Mandolin bro's is a great shop to try and buy, (bought my fluke there) but, I advise buying strings over the intarwebz... They don't have a great selection of strings for ukes.

Don't they have a neat resonator uke there too?

I have been meaning to go over there and play that Martin.

I played the repro of it at Umanov's and it sounded like turd.

Lots of people have said that... but compare to the vintage after the newer Martin ukes age and I wonder what you will hear.

See...I figured magical things would have happened. :p
That's what UAS whispers in your ear. :biglaugh:

You mean thats what UAS whispers from inside your ear. haha. UAS has taken over my body and mind.

NYC Dealers

Mandolin Bros. has an excellent reputation. I have not bought from them, but they were quick to reply with photos of the Kamaka Tenors they had in stock when I inquired. Very friendly. They have incredible instruments, and if you hit the Powerball, check out the Lloyd Loar Gibson F5 mandolins they get in from time to time (usually $25k to $30k).....or the custom arch top guitar for $100k!

As always, best to hold it in your hand, compare and make sure you get the sound, action, fit, finish, etc you are paying for. They have been around for years and my buddies from New York have spoken well of them.

When I checked their website a couple days ago they had six Kamaka tenors in stock....

Top Bottom