C7 chord on U2 Van Diemans Land

RAZZLE

Reaction score
So i'm learning the above song and it calls for a c7 and it just doesnt sound right.I've tried C but thats still a bit off.I think the chord needs to be lower to suit the song.Any suggestions?
thanks in advance,
RAZZLE.

So i'm learning the above song and it calls for a c7 and it just doesnt sound right.I've tried C but thats still a bit off.I think the chord needs to be lower to suit the song.Any suggestions?
thanks in advance,
RAZZLE.

At what point in the song is your chart calling for a C7?

JJ

hold me(F)now(Bb)hold me(F)now
till this(Dm)hour(Bb)has gone a(C7)round
and i'm(Am)gone on the rising(Dm)tide(Bb)..........

Quigs: That is a cool voicing for C7! :shaka: I'm remembering that one...

RAZZLE: Judging by the version U2 does on "Rattle and Hum", from what I can tell, it's just a regular C chord there. When they play that chord on the guitar, you don't have that high "C" note like you do when you play it in standard position on a ukulele, so maybe that's why it sounds unusual to you.

Now they do add a bit of a Csus4 in there (0013). If you did that, it might help a bit. It comes in very briefly, right between beats three and four of the first measure of that chord.

Another thing is that the R&H version is actually in the key of F#, not F. It's perfectly fine to play it in the key of F, but you're a half-step lower. You might just as easily go a half-step higher, and put it in the key of G:

Hold me (G) now (C) hold me (G) now
'Til this (Em) hour (C) has gone a(D)round (Dsus4)(D)
And I'm (Bm) gone on the rising (Em) tide (C)

JJ

JJ, you're always so helpful. Just wanted to let you know that it doesn't go unnoticed. Thanks.

Top Bottom