Pono Ohai Tenor = GOOD!

bnicholas26

Reaction score
Just got my new Pono OT-E from MGM! Made it here in 2 days to Connecticut from Hawaii. I was surprised by the weight and solid craftsmanship (makes my Hilo soprano feel like Balsa). Ohai is B E A utiful! Nice grain and nice smooth feel even with satin finish. Koolau gold strings feel a little stiff to the touch and harder than Aquilas or Martins but still sound excellent. I can find nothing to be unhappy about with this ukulele. The tuners (grover open-gear) are nice and sturdy, made with good quality stainless and the tops of the pegs are flared to keep the strings from wandering. Nice headstock and fretboard (rosewood). Truss rod is easily accessible and came with a hex wrench in a pouch. 5 year warranty adds peace of mind. Passive under-saddle pickup system is crisp and clear (no buzzing). The gig bag (included) is fitted like a glove to the uke (no knocking around). Nice clean look, no extravagant bindings or rosettes, just straight wood. I'll be YouTubing it soon for sound samples, just look under bnicholas26. I wish to thank MGM for excellent customer service (as he answered all my questions before my purchase) he made the transaction an absolute joy, Mike you are the best at what you do!

Attachments

• 100_2624.jpg
    100_2624.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_2628.jpg
    100_2628.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_2631.jpg
    100_2631.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_2635.jpg
    100_2635.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_2636.jpg
    100_2636.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 50
Just got my new Pono OT-E from MGM! Made it here in 2 days to Connecticut from Hawaii. I was surprised by the weight and solid craftsmanship (makes my Hilo soprano feel like Balsa). Ohai is B E A utiful! Nice grain and nice smooth feel even with satin finish. Koolau gold strings feel a little stiff to the touch and harder than Aquilas or Martins but still sound excellent. I can find nothing to be unhappy about with this ukulele. The tuners (grover open-gear) are nice and sturdy, made with good quality stainless and the tops of the pegs are flared to keep the strings from wandering. Nice headstock and fretboard (rosewood). Truss rod is easily accessible and came with a hex wrench in a pouch. 5 year warranty adds peace of mind. Passive under-saddle pickup system is crisp and clear (no buzzing). The gig bag (included) is fitted like a glove to the uke (no knocking around). Nice clean look, no extravagant bindings or rosettes, just straight wood. I'll be YouTubing it soon for sound samples, just look under bnicholas26. I wish to thank MGM for excellent customer service (as he answered all my questions before my purchase) he made the transaction an absolute joy, Mike you are the best at what you do!
Beautiful Uke! Does it come in a gloss finish too?

–Lori

Beautiful Uke! Does it come in a gloss finish too?

–Lori

The Ohai series only come in a satin finish. But if this uke was gloss, it would look just like Koa.

Thanks for posting this. I've seen a few reviews of these around, and I've found them all very helpful. It sounds like it's one darn fine uke.

Top Bottom