Mitchell brand???

Weshwee

Reaction score
im getting a new uke finally...its $100 and ive played it; its really nice....concert. $100 Mitchell...is that a good upgrade from a beginer Rogue Instruments uke? but i also wanna keep this for a while before i upgrade again. is the mitchell a good upgrade or should i save a couple hundred more dollars and get an even better uke? if you wanna see it, it is at guitarcenter.com

You don't have to spend much to upgrade from a Rogue, and the main thing is that you've played it and you like it. You can keep it as long as you want. Keep your Rogue too, I've still got the first Hilo I ever bought, I don't play it, but I look at it on the shelf.

Aside from that I'd say you should support a local mom and pop store or one of the smaller online vendors- don't give your hard earned money to guitar center.

I get the stinkin' feeling this Mitchell is a laminate top 'ukulele so not a real improvement over your rogue. For just a few dollars more you can get a Kala solid spruce top, or a solid Koa Pili Koko. You did not indicate what size 'ukulele you were planning on. Here's a couple ebay deals worth considering:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-K...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
!BVORHq!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLlyg1NBKRZyPMTiQ~~_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KALA-MODEL-...0?hash=item3352849877&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
7515978.jpg

I get the stinkin' feeling this Mitchell is a laminate top 'ukulele so not a real improvement over your rogue. For just a few dollars more you can get a Kala solid spruce top, or a solid Koa Pili Koko. [/img]

It's true KALA makes some great ukes (I have a couple myself and I am shopping for my third KALA now) that is a pretty good deal on the spruce top.

There is nothing wrong with laminates, in fact there are several things very right about them. Durability, for one, is far better with laminates than with solid wood- they are less likely to break, and are way more resistant to cracking due to things like drastic changes in temperature and humidity.

There is nothing wrong with laminates, in fact there are several things very right about them. Durability, for one, is far better with laminates than with solid wood- they are less likely to break, and are way more resistant to cracking due to things like drastic changes in temperature and humidity.

Durability and price are the only advantages to laminates, they rarely sound as nice as a solid wood 'ukulele, and their sound does not improve with age like a solid wood 'ukulele does. A solid wood 'ukulele is a much more notable upgrade worth the slight increase in price. Learn to properly maintain a solid wood 'ukulele and you can pass it down to your grandchildren. :shaka:

PS. I do LOVE the indestructibility of my laminate top Fluke!

Last edited:
Durability and price are the only advantages to laminates, they rarely sound as nice as a solid wood 'ukulele, and their sound does not improve with age like a solid wood 'ukulele does. A solid wood 'ukulele is a much more notable upgrade worth the slight increase in price. Learn to properly maintain a solid wood 'ukulele and you can pass it down to your grandchildren. :shaka:

PS. I do LOVE the indestructibility of my laminate top Fluke!

What you are saying is true in many respects; however, in Hawai'i you don't have to worry about the wood splitting like you would in many places in the USA. But, there are a few other considerations for possibly picking a laminated uke. One of those might be less prone to feedback when playing onstage "plugged" into an amp or PA. Dimensional stability also means you will stay in tune better on a laminated uke and when it is cabled to a PA or amp, staying in tune is a major plus.

Some of the finest-built guitars (mostly classical) are two-ply laminated instruments. One good reason for it is to dampen vibration. Believe it or not, the idea is to control unwanted noise.

I agree with you, though, most of the best sounding ukes I have heard, acoustically, have been solid wood.

Without exception every professional Hawai'i 'ukulele player I know of prefers the sound of solid wood even plugged, maybe different on the Mainland. With proper care and equipment you can even keep a solid body 'ukulele even in Death Valley, and many Mainlanders think it's worth the extra effort to do so to have superior sound. The best guitars are still made from solid wood. Laminates have there place but I don't view it a step up except maybe a Kiwaya, so couldn't recommend a laminate for a second 'ukulele but first 'ukulele by all means until you decide you want to stick with it, and upgrade to a solid maybe even a Koa "K".
The only laminate 'ukulele I think I would ever consider buying now that I have a Fluke would be a Kiwaya Koa Pineapple, I have heard nothing but praise for the quality, and great sound of their ultrathin 2 ply laminate, and it's nice looking too with the Koa veneer.
Kiwaya%20KS-4P.jpg

Last edited:
The only laminate 'ukulele I think I would ever consider buying now that I have a Fluke would be a Kiwaya Koa Pineapple, I have heard nothing but praise for the quality, and great sound of their ultrathin 2 ply laminate, and it's nice looking too with the Koa veneer.
Kiwaya%20KS-4P.jpg

That is a beautiful pineapple.

wow guys. thanks. that helps a lot...and yes its a laminate =/ lol i never even thot that that would be a factor...and about giving my money to guitar center, your right lol. i think ill look other places. like online or different stores. but i also want something very durable that can last me for years beating on it and traveling with it. and tuning is a big factor for me also...i have to tune my rogue everytime i use it and that gets really tiring. and where can i find KALAs? lol ...you guys have helped me a lot and i love UU so much...but i need more help!!! haha once again thank you :D :D :D

where can i find KALAs? lol ...you guys have helped me a lot and i love UU so much...but i need more help!!! haha once again thank you :D :D :D

Music Guy Mike on e-bay has an excellent selection of KALA ukes and folks on the forum here seem to like him a lot.

Guitar Center in Columbus, Ohio has a tenor solid mahogany Cordoba uke that I picked up and started playing and it really was nice. It was not real loud, but it had very sweet tone and the fit and finish were excellent. I wondered how it sounded "plugged" into a nice acoustic amp.

The price, BTW, was $199 (reasonable).

Guitar Center in Columbus, Ohio has a tenor solid mahogany Cordoba uke that I picked up and started playing and it really was nice. It was not real loud, but it had very sweet tone and the fit and finish were excellent. I wondered how it sounded "plugged" into a nice acoustic amp.

The price, BTW, was $199 (reasonable).

WOW $199 for a solid Acacia (they call Koa) 'ukulele, great deal! I was looking at the made in Portugal Lehua Acacias too. The Cordodas and Lehuas have a special appeal to me because of their Portuguese manufacture, going back down the 'ukulele family tree.

Well my first uke was a birthday present. I have a laminate wood Mitchell MU-70 Concert from Guitar Center, i really enjoy it, i think it's a pretty good or me to start learning on. i've been playing since novembr, and i'm getting a new job soon, so i think i'm going to buy a new solid wood Kala or Lanakai.

PS. my mitchell was only $100 with a $15 full 24 month no-questions-asked warranty. can't beat that. ;) haha

I wouldnt get a Mitchell personally. I would go with the kala. Much better quality and better sound.

I played the mitchell at our not so local GC didn't have the sound or feel I was looking for, I do have a concert cordoba and love the sound, I had to exchange 3 of them though to get one that the tuners were not loose or one that didnt have a crack in the side. But it was worth it, love the sound and look.

However I just picked up a Kamoa for 200 bucks and the loudness and quality is amazing. Check out the UU store you will not be dissappointed in the kamoa. Last time I checked GC that mitchell was a concert and was running 169 dollars, for the money you can get much better from MGM on ebay.
2cents

I played the Mitchell MU-100 while out of state recently at Guitar Center and was quite surprised at the sound it had. Everything I have played at my local GC has sounded lousy.
The Mitchell sounded pretty good and is real purdy too.
So...Mitchell...good...or at least the one I played was.

I played the Mitchell MU-100 while out of state recently at Guitar Center and was quite surprised at the sound it had. Everything I have played at my local GC has sounded lousy.
The Mitchell sounded pretty good and is real purdy too.
So...Mitchell...good...or at least the one I played was.

I'm actually playing one of those right now (not while typing mind you). I do like the sound but I still want an upgrade from this little guy, since I'm play somewhere around 3-5 hours a day I don't feel too bad about putting a whole crap ton of money into this.
My question is whether I should save up for a martin or a custom made one. On top of that I think i might want an amplifiable one and if those can be custom made.

I'm actually playing one of those right now (not while typing mind you). I do like the sound but I still want an upgrade from this little guy, since I'm play somewhere around 3-5 hours a day I don't feel too bad about putting a whole crap ton of money into this.
My question is whether I should save up for a martin or a custom made one. On top of that I think i might want an amplifiable one and if those can be custom made.

I played my Kala cutaway Spruce top for two years before I "upgraded" and in no way am I saying that you should follow that lead.

I was not fortunate enough to be able to play custom ukes in my area. I had to use sites like Ukulele Ghetto, Ukulele Friend and YouTube to check out sound clips of brands i was interested in.

I like GORGEOUS ukes that play incredible...and they are certainly available....and can be made for you.

My advice, look at the custom makers, look at the "big K" makers and find one that you drool over. Then look around for a sound clip of something similar (if not the same) to the one you are interested in.

I warn you though...UAS could gitcha!

I have a number of customs and some definite favorites. I just had an uke finished from Chuck Moore. His work is absolutely phenomenal.

I hope that helps.

help quite a bit actually, thank you

ED: checked out your youtube video to see how i liked your ukulele, it certainly sound great and you handle it beautifully

Last edited:
Top Bottom