PDA

View Full Version : My first uke!

itsme
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Because inquiring minds said they want to know. (Thanks, KC8AFW.) Here are some pics. This is the signature Donavon Frankenreiter tenor model I won in a drawing. :)

It's a deep, rich mahogany.
http://images.dr3vil.com/files/11/Ufront.jpg

http://images.dr3vil.com/files/11/Uback.jpg

It came with a pretty nice gig bag. There's a shoulder strap you can't see on the back.
http://images.dr3vil.com/files/11/Ucase.jpg

itsme
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Don't know why, but it kept saying I had included five images (when there were only four) so am doing this one as an addendum. :)

Here's a comparison next to my 664 scale flamenco negra.
http://images.dr3vil.com/files/11/Usizecomparison.jpg

ukudele
06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Congrats. My kinda raffle.

KC8AFW
07-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Ooohhh...pretty *wipes drool from chin*. Congratulations. WARNING! UAS is highly contageous and can be contracted by simply strumming a uke for the first time. To contend with this pandemic, it is recommended that you start saving up now for your next ukulele.:D

Oh, and smilies count as images.

kailua
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
It's a beauty! Congratulations!

Playscool39
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Pretty Uke,congrats.btw nice guitar 2!

ukebrudder
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
An ukulele as a prize at a raffle?:eek: Wow, thats so awesome!

Pippin
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Looks great. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

KC8AFW
07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Okay...so my curiosity has gotten the better of me. What kind of raffle was it? As much as we all love ukuleles, let's face it. They're not exactly main stream...yet.:rolleyes: I'm just wondering what type of venue would offer such a wonderful raffle prize.

itsme
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Okay...so my curiosity has gotten the better of me. What kind of raffle was it? As much as we all love ukuleles, let's face it. They're not exactly main stream...yet.:rolleyes: I'm just wondering what type of venue would offer such a wonderful raffle prize.
Actually, it was from the mailing list of a guitar retailer that specializes in high-end classicals and flamencos. (PM me if you want a link, I'm not trying to advertise here.) The person who notified me that I'd won said that they received fewer entries for the uke than for the 6-string travel guitar they gave away in the previous drawing.

I don't know... even though I'm first and foremost a classical guitarist, I get the impression that a lot of CG'ers are kinda snobs about their instrument being "better". Like how dare anyone attempt to play an instrument without formal training. And, egads, but some of them even rail against using an electronic tuner because a "real" guitarist learns to tune by ear. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid you just learn a few chords and strum along and sing with some friends at a backyard BBQ and actually have some plain ole (gasp!) fun in the process. You are obviously not a serious musician.

veep
07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Pretty Uke

Lori
07-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't know... even though I'm first and foremost a classical guitarist, I get the impression that a lot of CG'ers are kinda snobs about their instrument being "better". Like how dare anyone attempt to play an instrument without formal training. And, egads, but some of them even rail against using an electronic tuner because a "real" guitarist learns to tune by ear. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid you just learn a few chords and strum along and sing with some friends at a backyard BBQ and actually have some plain ole (gasp!) fun in the process. You are obviously not a serious musician.

Hey, that uke will work just fine for the classical stuff too! Not that you have to.... but just so you know:rolleyes:. I like to recommend this free songbook, which is a great place to start if you play classical guitar too.
http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf
And check out John King on YouTube. His contribution to the range of the Ukulele is awesome. He has a book called "The Classical Ukulele". When I play from these songbooks, it is the same experience I get when I play the guitar, except the strings are easier to hold down and my fingers can reach further. Welcome to the wide world of the ukulele!

–Lori

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 07:45 PM
She's a beauty to start your 'ukulele adventure on, I'm happy for ya. :shaka:

ukulele2544
07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Good looking ukulele!

itsme
07-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I like to recommend this free songbook, which is a great place to start if you play classical guitar too.
http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf
Thanks for that link, Lori! I'm just having a hard time wrapping my peabrain around the different notes compared to the guitar, especially with reentrant tuning.

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome here! Uke players sure are a friendly bunch. :)

Lori
07-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for that link, Lori! I'm just having a hard time wrapping my peabrain around the different notes compared to the guitar, especially with reentrant tuning.

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome here! Uke players sure are a friendly bunch. :)

If it helps, I just read the tabs, and ignore the music notation. It's just easier that way, and keeps the confusion to a minimum. Save the note reading for the guitar, and the tabs for uke, banjo, and anything else that is easy to find tablature for. I got used to the new chord patterns without too much pain. Also, it is fun to try out low G tuning... but wait at least a couple of weeks so you get the feel for the high G sound. They are both nice.

–Lori

itsme
07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
If it helps, I just read the tabs, and ignore the music notation. It's just easier that way, and keeps the confusion to a minimum. Save the note reading for the guitar, and the tabs for uke, banjo, and anything else that is easy to find tablature for. I got used to the new chord patterns without too much pain. Also, it is fun to try out low G tuning... but wait at least a couple of weeks so you get the feel for the high G sound. They are both nice.
Well, I already messed with the strings. :eek: But I think I'll put the original Aquilas with the high G back on for now.

Unlike most people, I'm somewhat "tab challenged," having learned to read standard notation from the start. But I'll give your suggestion a shot.

I've extracted a few pieces from that PDF that I'm already familiar with on guitar to get me started.

Thanks again, Lori! :)