Neutral Facial Expression? O_o?

cashew

Reaction score
ok, I have a vid I'm trying to do-- a relatively shortish instrumental... Its not easy for me but I can kinda get through it without too many screw ups... but I put on this puss that is eech:mad:... ya know?

So, I re-record it, except now, I have this :D kinda dumb smile thing going on while the eyes are :uhoh: and :eek:

So, what do ya'll do to keep from looking like an ogre/ogress (or other assorted wierdo) during vids?

Susan says I make all sorts of faces and mouth movements when I play...

strange-facial-expression-of-a-horse-thumb333544.jpg

heh, I get through I'd say to about the final 20 seconds of this.. and I hear a crash from behind me.. My dear darling dumbass cat knocked over a cart full of folded laundry.

/headdesk.

Lets do this again. :)

heh, I get through I'd say to about the final 20 seconds of this.. and I hear a crash from behind me.. My dear darling dumbass cat knocked over a cart full of folded laundry.

/headdesk.

Lets do this again. :)

haha, those are the moments which make videos special!

I just imagine that my camera is naked.
It is. After all, who dresses a camera?

Better to image you're naked. Or your camera is held by a naked person of your choice. Or maybe you and the camera holder are both naked. The possibilities are rich in entertainment value.​

My wife says I suffer from video gittyness, for some reason as soon as the camera goes on I switch off. I also have trouble keeping me mouth shout, for some strange reason it just drops open and I look like a fish.

It is. After all, who dresses a camera?

Better to image you're naked. Or your camera is held by a naked person of your choice. Or maybe you and the camera holder are both naked. The possibilities are rich in entertainment value.​

Actually the easiest video I ever made was the naked ukulele campaign video. Because I was actually naked, I totally didn't worry about looking foollish in other ways.

I'm the opposite: in my TNC video, a lot of my friends said I looked way too serious or deep in concentration (that song beat the crap out of me) and would've liked a facial expression or two.
Leave the goofy expressions in the vids. Makes you look alive!

grim faced

I think that when we are concentrating like that... trying to play it right and all, the face just goes limp. It doesn't seem to matter that you are feeling good or happy while playing... but it is taking all your resources and putting it to the task. I suggest playing with camera angles, because that can make a big difference on how the limp face looks. And, I think some people have practiced a proper performance face. Now if I can only figure out what that is for me?

–Lori

So, what do ya'll do to keep from looking like an ogre/ogress (or other assorted wierdo) during vids?
Zoom in on the uke. This also cuts down on the number of "what are the chords?" comments.

I was too shy to do this kind of stuff when I was young. Now I figure if I don't do it, it isn't going to happen. Wish I had the same attitude 30 years ago.

Ignore it... Just play and don't be too concerned about the outcome. You'll be surprised how freeing that is. And as an added bonus, the quality generally improves too.

Top Bottom