The C string buzz at 2nd fret onward and I have no
intention to send the uke back to the seller to rectify
(shipping would cost a bomb).

The strings are white, could be Aquila... but I am not
certain.

What can I do?

Thanks.

It could be a few different things.

Firstly, it might be the string is not intonated corectly, try tuning it higher to a C# or D, if the buzz goes away, then it's the string, just replace the string.

Secondly, It might be that the string is buzzing against a fret. Take a small ruler or something with a straight edge and lay it across three of the frets, if it is not touching all the frets evenly, then you have a fret that has heaved up or is too high. You will have to "dress" the fret if that is the problem.

Thirdly, check the groove in the nut. The C string is the thickest string and it might not be sitting well in the groove, this can also cause a buzzing.

I had a buzz on my C string. I followed it up to the tuning peg.

I tightened the tuning peg slightly with a screw driver and that fixed it.

Might not be what's going on with yours, but it's worth investigating if all else fails.

Good luck!

Secondly, It might be that the string is buzzing against a fret. Take a small ruler or something with a straight edge and lay it across three of the frets, if it is not touching all the frets evenly, then you have a fret that has heaved up or is too high. You will have to "dress" the fret if that is the problem.
thanks hoosierhiver.

i hope this isn't the problem i am facing now...
but my pono ohai concert sounded like the C string is hitting the
fret from 2nd onwards even though it is very little/ slightly.

I tightened the tuning peg slightly with a screw driver and that fixed it.
thanks LonnaB for highlighting the screws.

my uke has open gear tuners. i will check if the screws has been
tighten.

Top Bottom