Savarez question

vahn

Reaction score
I was looking at changing out my aquilas on my Ohai Tenor... I was wondering what savarez strings would work good with say a pono koa tenor... I was also thinking of trying worth browns. I didn't really like the depth of the ko'olau golds that came on it and while I like the aquilas I've only really every used aquilas so I wanted to see what else was out there. Any reccomendations?

I was looking at changing out my aquilas on my Ohai Tenor... I was wondering what savarez strings would work good with say a pono koa tenor... I was also thinking of trying worth browns. I didn't really like the depth of the ko'olau golds that came on it and while I like the aquilas I've only really every used aquilas so I wanted to see what else was out there. Any reccomendations?

Not sure about the Pono but I use Savarez on all my tenor Koa ukes.

I use the Savarez Alliance Classical Guitar strings on my concert, tenors, and baritone. I have them strung on a Pono rosewood with cedar top. The Savarez strings are thinner compared to Aquila, so it may take some getting use to. Also, with the higher tension and change in diameter, you may need to make some adjustments if you run into intonation problems, especially if the uke was built for a particular set of strings. You can check out my string review on youtube.

Here are the strings I use, D'addario NYL028W (low G) and Savarez Classical guitar strings, 543R (C), 542R(E) and 541R(A), used by many Hawaiian musicians, and they sound great on my Pono Tenor PKT2E. You can get them individually from strings by mail.com

I've gone thru many brands of strings including the ones you mentioned, but I am very pleased with the Savarez, and put them on all of my uke's.

Read this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14285

Here are the strings I use, D'addario NYL028W (low G) and Savarez Classical guitar strings, 543R (C), 542R(E) and 541R(A), used by many Hawaiian musicians, and they sound great on my Pono Tenor PKT2E. You can get them individually from strings by mail.com

I've gone thru many brands of strings including the ones you mentioned, but I am very pleased with the Savarez, and put them on all of my uke's.

Read this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14285

Thanx guys, interesting that you use the wound d'addario. I had completely forgot that I bought a pack of d'addario pro arte classical strings for the bass strings on my guitalele (I use aquilas for the trebles) and i still had the DGBE strings which substitute perfectly for a low G set on the O'hai tenor. They sound pretty good, a great all around string, but I'm really interested in trying out those savarez.

Wow I didnt know savarez had so many individual strings... I'm ordering a new set of strings for the guitalele and I'm getting an additional low B wound bass string so that I can tune my guitalele EADGBE guitar style

hi danged,
did the PKT2E came with aquilas; low or high G and did you
need to file the nut wider to fit the savarezs or change it?

hi danged,
did the PKT2E came with aquilas; low or high G and did you
need to file the nut wider to fit the savarezs or change it?

Savarez are supposed to be thinner than aquilas, you shouldnt need to I wouldnt think

Top Bottom