Pineapple vs Soprano?

anglfishie

Reaction score
Hiram, Maine - the center of nowhere... :)
Any thoughts on the differences between a Pineapple vs Soprano Uke? I want to purchase a Uke for my hubby for his 40th and I have no idea what to get. I found an outfit for around $145 that includes a LU-11, case, Tuner, Lesson books & generic strings, and then I found another outfit with an LU-21 P, case, tuner, lesson books & strings for $159. My question is what is the difference in quality between a pineapple vs soprano? is there any? they are both Lanikai, which I hear are fine for starters, but I just don't want to give him a junky uke! He used to play Trumbone as a kid, but hasn't played anything for probably 22 years - but he really wants to try the Uke and I'd love for him to get one that he'll use and be excited about... any feedback would be great...

To my knowledge the only real difference will be the shape of the body. I have heard that pineapples have a louder volume due to the size of the soundboard. I have't ever played them side by side though. The scale should be the same on both. Both should be about the same quality since they are both Lanikai. I am sure there are some more experinced members that will chime in.

What a lucky man, to have you buy him a uke.

I see on another thread you posted that you're a bit worried about what to get. You're right about it being a sort of personal choice.

But don't fret! Picking out a uke for someone is like picking out a tie. Yes, people do have their own tastes, but it's not like it's the only tie they're ever going to have. A good, basic, conservate, "normal" tie is always a safe bet, and the same goes for ukes.

This probably won't be the only uke he'll ever own. Your goal is to get him going. If he enjoys playing it, he can (and probably will!) buy more ukes for himself down the road.

So I think a basic, inexpensive "starter" uke would go over great with your hubby. I'd probably go with a regular soprano or concert than a pineapple, unless you happened to know for a fact that your husband liked pineapples. To continue the "tie" analogy, pineapples are kinda like bow ties--they're very cool, but a bit riskier than the regular version when giving one as a gift.

I hear good things about Lanakais. But if you're looking for a "kit" in the range of $150 or so, I'd recommend that you also check out Music Guy Mic's store on eBay. Those Kala Mahogany kits (KA-S for soprano and KA-C for concert size) are very nice deals, for example. You'll probably want to get a digital tuner instead of the pitch pipe that MGM includes, but that won't run you more than $20-30.

:shaka:

JJ

Thanks so much for the feedback!!! I'm leaning towards the "peanut" as you call it as well - and if he loves the Uke (as I'm sure he will) than he can get a different one later on!!! I'm kind of excited to get it so I can play it too! Again, thank you so much for the feedback - I'll post his reactions once he opens it!

The pineapple will have a little bigger sound and a little louder due to the body shape...otherwise, they are the same. Before you jump on that deal...check out MGM. He sets these up to make sure the intonation is correct and puts better strings on them. He's also a forum member. Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kala-KA-S-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-STARTER-PACK_W0QQitemZ250453631465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a503321e9&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A30
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-PINEAPPLE-SOPRANO-UKULELE-STARTER-PACK-MK-P_W0QQitemZ330341295853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9e026ed&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A30
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-SOPRANO-UKULELE-STARTER-PACK-see-Video-of-Uke_W0QQitemZ330341295364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9e02504&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A30

As much as I love my Lanikai LU-21 soprano...I had to adjust the nut and saddle to get the intonnation correct. Not a big deal if your up for the task, but most beginners would rather not.

Just my 2 cents worth (before taxes):)

Top Bottom