I'm new and I have a question!

Belley08

Reaction score
Hey yall! Natalie (NDTitanLady) from youtube sent me here! I have a questionnnnnn!!

So I kinda wanna buy a Ukulele now buuuuuut I dont know what kind to buy! Of course I want a cheap one for now just cuz I'm starting out... sooo if you have any suggestions or advice or anything please let me know!

Thankssssssss!!!

-Belle :)

hey! good to see that your on ukulele underground!
well there are many things to look at when buying your first one.
Size is the most important. i started off with the soprano(smallest) size. then gradually started playing the tenor.
i suggest the soprano for now! just look on ebay, theres plenty

IMO sopranos are hard to play on. I started to play on a soprano also, but when i got my concert thats when the real playing started to kick in. It really jus depends on what you feel most comfortable with when u first touch the ukulele sizes.

IMO sopranos are hard to play on. I started to play on a soprano also, but when i got my concert thats when the real playing started to kick in. It really jus depends on what you feel most comfortable with when u first touch the ukulele sizes.

yeps but most people here plays with tenor

Where do you live? Probably a member can recommend a good music store for you where you can try different sizes.
I personally like Soprano best, because in my eyes and ears it is the most "ukulele-typical" size and has the most "ukulele-typical" sound.

WELCOME TO UU!!!! My suggestion to you would be to go to an ukulele or music store and grab a uke and see how it feels in your hand. Hold a Soprano and hold a Concert. Try give it a strum. Thats the first thing. Next thing I would probably say is figure out how much you have or want to spend. This is definately going to tell you what you will eventually get. Now....dont buy anything from the first place you are getting a feel of the ukulele size from. There are tons of places and people who sell ukulele's and pricing is very competative.

Thank you guys so much for the help!

Would they sell Ukuleles at Guitar Center?

Thank you guys so much for the help!

Would they sell Ukuleles at Guitar Center?

Probably not at Guitar Center. They do have a couple of junky ones that I saw in SD. If you are in San Diego, go to Blue Guitar. They have a ton of ukes to choose from. A lot of us buy from musicguymic on ebay too..

Last edited:
Welcome to UU. My Guitar Center sells maybe 3 or 4 uke's. All either soprano or concert. They're all lower end and honestly you can find better out there for the money.

Good Luck!

Yeahhhhh well I don't live in San Diego.. (I wish I did! Haha) so Idk the only music stores around me are like Guitar Center and maybe an H&H..

And also, I don't have alotta money to invest on a good ukulele, I kinda just wanted an okay one to start off with know what I mean?

What are some good beginner ones under $100? Maybe like $50-$100?

Welcome!
hello.gif

They will have ukes in some Guitar centers...I have purchased two from there.

Last edited:
I started off with a Rogue Baritone Uke from Musician's Friend. ^_^ Check it out on their site. It's around $25, I think. Good price if you just want to start out, then you can move around from there.

I have a Makala with a dolphin shaped bridge. It cost £16 - about $18, I think - and I couldn't hear any difference between it and a more expensive entry level Lanikai. I've put Aquila strings on it which really made it sound smashing and it's lovely for starting on. It travels everywhere with me and has got a bit bashed. Thing is, I don't worry about it. It's cheap, fun and sounds fine. It has geared tuners too so stays in tune longer than the peg type. Have a look on ebay ... Happy hunting.

Hi ppl!! Any good ukulele shops in Sydney?

Hi people,

I just started learning ukulele, currently using a Alegre (uke boy), anybody has any idea it belongs to soprano or tenor? I am really new in this area! Also, do anyone know where can i buy music books and ukulele in Sydney? Any shops to recommend?
Thank you so much for your help!

Go to GC to get the feel for size, if you like-- almost any one will have a soprano and a concert. (If your GC is anything like the one in my town, though, prepare for the sales staff to ignore you the minute you mention the uke.)

Then go on ebay-- Musiguymic is the bomb. I get better customer service here in Virginia from him than I do from a lot of the local (guitar-centric) shops.

Top Bottom