PDA

View Full Version : recommend digital ukulele tuner?

shores&hammocks
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
i suck at tuning ukuleles. and a digital tuner is just what i need. but, because i'm a paranoid freak, i'm afraid that the digital tuner might not read right or be little off.

any suggestions for an digital uke tuner that you can vouch for? or maybe vanquish my paranoia? haha, thanks :shaka:

NukeDOC
07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
is your ukulele acoustic only or does it have a pickup?

if it has a pickup and you have a guitar cable, i suggest you get one of the korg tuners. theyre only about $20 and very accurate.

if you are going acoustic only, then i would suggest using something like the intelli-500 tuner. about $20 also. they take some getting used to because you actually clip em to your headstock and when you pluck a string it picks up the vibrations in the whole instrument. cool because you can leave them attached and just turn it on when you need it. but can be difficult when you have an ukulele that is laminated. they tend to not vibrate as well, making it harder to read. the korg tuners also work by sound too, though. so if you get one of those it will work for both your electric and acoustic instruments.

KC8AFW
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
There's a thread running that has what you seek...

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15542

shores&hammocks
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
mine is acoustic only, so if i were to get the intelli one, could i play it by sound too instead of vibrations? because my uke is laminate (laminate is cheap wood on bottom and like koa on top right?). this is the worries and doubts i had. how accurate is the vibration reading? and wouldn't be more inaccurate with laminate also like you said? ugh.

but i think i'll go with intelli. i just need more clarification.

Ukulele JJ
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
could i play it by sound too instead of vibrations? because my uke is laminate

Doesn't matter. For one, the tuner clips on to the headstock, not anywhere near the body. For two, while the material a uke is made out of might affect the intensity and/or "contour" of the fundamental vibrations of a note, it will not affect the frequency of those vibrations. And frequency is all the tuner cares about.

I have long had a tuner that works via sound. After the first ukulele jam I used it on--or rather, tried to use it, amidst the all the chaos--I went right out and got a clip-on tuner. It works great.

My clip-on is a Planet Waves, but really, any decent tuner will do a fine job. Just get one. You'll be glad you did. Trust me.

:shaka:

JJ

RevWill
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Kala KC02.

experimentjon
07-03-2009, 09:01 PM
mine is acoustic only, so if i were to get the intelli one, could i play it by sound too instead of vibrations? because my uke is laminate (laminate is cheap wood on bottom and like koa on top right?). this is the worries and doubts i had. how accurate is the vibration reading? and wouldn't be more inaccurate with laminate also like you said? ugh.

but i think i'll go with intelli. i just need more clarification.

I've got two of the Intelli tuners. It doesn't play by sound, but you clip it onto the headstock, and it gets the vibrations. It works great for any uke, even if it's a laminate back. I use mine on acoustic guitars too, and it still works great. Doesn't work for solidbody electrics though.

The accuracy is very good, just as accurate as if I plugged the Korg chromatic that NukeDoc was talking about into the pickup. (My preferred method of tuning whenever possible.)

If you aren't fixed on the Intelli brand, I also recommend the clip on digital tuner that they sell in the UU store. Don't remember the brand, but its the one aldrine uses, and I like it a lot. I don't own one yet (since I really dont need any more tuners...I must have like 8 of them or so from band and that I've gotten as gifts) but it works really well, and it's cool b/c the display changes color from red to green...or the other way around...but it's an awesome visual aid.

ukulele2544
07-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Aldrine uses the one down at the UU store he says; "It's not too heavy and it does it's job"

mailman
07-05-2009, 02:39 AM
There's a thread running that has what you seek...

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15542

I can't figure out how you created this link to another thread....I was wanting to suggest another. :(

KC8AFW
07-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I can't figure out how you created this link to another thread....I was wanting to suggest another. :(

Go to the thread you want. The address of the thread should be in the address bar of your browser. Highlight the address and copy it (CTRL+C for Windows). Then in your reply to this thread...insert a link (click the globe with the chain-link on the tool bar) and paste the address in the dialog box (CTRL+V for Windows) and click OK.

Hope this helps.

mailman
07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the help! To the OP....try this thread as well....

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14789