Finally, a Pono Mango! (pics and video)

NatalieS

Reaction score
I couldn't help but jump on this deal... a gently used baritone Pono mango uke for a fraction of new cost! I found it on ebay for a "buy it now" of $368, including Koolau deluxe case and a few books. This is the only baritone mango I've seen from Pono, and I'm sure they don't make them anymore because they're not even on the factory website. The original owner purchased it from MGM months ago.

Let me first state that I am a soprano player, through and through. My first real uke was my soprano koa Lanikai and I still adore it. However, sometimes I long for a more mellow, deeper sound especially for certain songs that I want to sing. As past posts of mine will attest, I was sure my hands were too small for anything larger than a concert. Well I've proved myself wrong. I played this uke for about an hour straight after opening it from its packaging! It sounds just like I wanted it to. Sure, the larger fretboard will take some getting used to, and right now I have to watch my left hand to make sure I'm spacing it correctly, but this uke is such a joy to play.

As I expected, the wood is very beautiful. The mango grain isn't as crazy as you'll see on the newer Pono mangoes, but I think it's very elegant looking. Other aspects of the uke (frets, passive pickup, nut and saddle) are impeccably put together. Just a gorgeous instrument, not much more to say!

Okay, now for a few pictures and a quick video of the sound. Please excuse the poor sound quality from my camera! It slurs the "S" sound on video, and it's my first video posted to UU, so be nice. :)

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

Congrats on your new Mango, Natalie. She's (He's?) real pretty and sounds nice.

I'm glad you were wrong to be concerned about your hand size. I'm sure that was a happy moment.

Your rendition of "Dream a Little Dream" charmed me completely. What a sweet and mellow singing voice you have. You need to post more videos. You're really talented.

Loved you video

Your rendition of "Dream a Little Dream" charmed me completely. What a sweet and mellow singing voice you have. You need to post more videos. You're really talented.

+1...You should create a YouTube channel so I can subscribe. And I love the sound of your new uke. Very mellow and full.

it looks beautiful!!! have funn. I like to mix it up too. I play a baritone, a soprano and two tenors, and now im playing guitar. I dont like it when people hate on anything other than a soprano, just because there is so much more that ukulele has to offer. sure you can do anything on a soprano than you could with a tenor or baritone or concert, but i just like to expand my horizons. ......

sorry for the blabbing, i havent been on in a while at all ahaha.

I am a big fan of baritone ukuleles. They add so much to uke jams and bands. Every "group" needs one. I have had baritone ukes since the late 1960s and I have always loved them. I have also had guitars since that time, too. To me, there is a huge difference between guitar and baritone uke. Lots of people don't "hear" the differences, but they are obvious to anyone playing both instruments.

The mango bari looks wonderful. Sounds great, too.

Wow guys, thank you all for such nice comments. I woke up this morning (had to be at work at 4:45 AM, yuck) but when I saw my uke again I thought it was even more beautiful than yesterday. I'm so glad I made this purchase, and I couldn't be happier with it.

That was my first video, and I appreicate the sweet compliments! I've always been a little shy about doing YouTube videos, but might get the courage to do one now, thanks to you all. :) I'll have to use my camcorder instead of my poor-quality digital cam for videos from now on.

Thanks again...

Wow guys, thank you all for such nice comments. I woke up this morning (had to be at work at 4:45 AM, yuck) but when I saw my uke again I thought it was even more beautiful than yesterday. I'm so glad I made this purchase, and I couldn't be happier with it.

That was my first video, and I appreicate the sweet compliments! I've always been a little shy about doing YouTube videos, but might get the courage to do one now, thanks to you all. :) I'll have to use my camcorder instead of my poor-quality digital cam for videos from now on.

Thanks again...

You have a very nice voice! Do more videos. Start a YouTube account.

It would be nice if more people did videos that included a baritone uke.

–Lori

Beautiful uke! Congratulations on the find. It sounds fantastic. I agree with everyone: you have a great voice! :music:

I agree with all the above comments, you have an amazing voice, you sang effortlessly, you should defiantly create a YouTube account. The tone on the Uke was beautiful too. Well done.

The ukulele has a beautiful sound. Whoaaaa.

Your voice is beautiful. I agree with everyone else, moar videos!

Congrats Nats, she be a beauty, and love yer voice, keep up the good work! :shaka:

Top Bottom