deformed top on new uke !

headonz

Reaction score
I got my Ohana tenor about two weeks ago and once I had it tuned and lowered the action I have managed to put down for food and sleep ... but not for long :D

Being my first uke its all new to me but I was a little disturbed yesterday to discover the top is deformed around the bridge.I know that old vintage ukuleles suffer from this but I am surprised to see it on my 'new' ukulele.

I understand that a Ohana is not a top of the line brand but should this have happened ??

The bridge plate hasn't pulled higher than the ukes face outer edges but there is depressions either side of it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
could be a humidity problem

One of the hardest aspects of building id getting that front thickness right. Here's an example:

I have three koa sopranos on build at the moment, each with fronts that have a different density and modulus of elasticity. Each has different appointments like binding, purflin etc. One will have an oil finish, one a satine the other a gloss finish. The variable go on.

As a one-off builder I can treat each of these 'similar' ukulele differently regarding top grading. Ohana cannot and it might just be that the mahogany on the specimen you have is a little bit more flexible than what they usually fit.

The rule is: if it sounds good and doesn't move anymore then leave it and don't worry about it. If it is stressing you out ask for a replacement!

Some very slight distortion might be acceptable and some guitar builders I know even believe if there is no distortion at all it is probably over built. Looking at your pictures however that looks excessive. As long as everything else is in line and stays that way you should be OK. I'd keep an eye on it however. How does it sound and play? Anyone know if Kala tops are flat or is there a radius built in to them? I'm betting on the former.

Last edited:
Our tops are not perfectly flat after stringing. In fact, it's been a cause for concern with some of our Japan accounts in the past. Of course, the Japanese consumer measures everything and 1mm off is considered imperfect. Not that they are a bad market, just very, very quality conscious.

Having said that, the top does look a little more bowed than what I would consider normal. But, taking into consideration what Pete mentioned, production shops don't have as much time to individually tweak individual instruments. I don't think there's any cause for major concern, but if it does bug you, talk to the shop you bought it from. Hopefully they will issue a credit or exchange.

I have an Ohana TK 35GT, one-piece mahogany top and bottom. Sounds great, plays great. Slight dip on the top, like yours. I'll say it again (just in case) sounds great, plays great.

Yes, I could yell and scream and get the good folks at Ohana to swap me out, but why? Mine sounds great, plays great. I'm even willing to overlook a couple of other minor errors/cracks/flaws/whining-in-the-wind issues. WHY?

Because mine sounds great, plays great. (of course, my local distributor might be willing to hand over a set or two of strings...he'll have to fight me for it now--and he will lose)

My not-so-humble suggestion is to put away the slide rule and whack away at the thing. If it does not perform, get another. Don't sweat it (variations are well known among even the best makers). If not, RUN THE THING!!!

Delight in the sound. Dig the uke. Heck, I'll bet even Jake S. has a freckle or two.

You might exchange it for a nice flat (thicker, denser, etc.) top one and notice the sound is just not as nice and clean as your former thin wavy top 'ukulele, and regret trading her in. My wife ain't perfect but she's perfect for me.

Top Bottom