My Pono story

freedive135

Reaction score
I really liked my little satin Pono Soprano...

But for the past few weeks I have been watching the side pull back from the bottom in 3 different places.
Everyday it just got worse when I first noticed it I took it to the shop where I got it and the guys there said yep the wood is moving, if it gets any worse bring it back in.

Well yesterday I took it back and he said "Wow this has gotten bad".
I have been keeping it humidified at 40-45% in the basement and it never saw the sunlight much like my KoAloha Soprano:(.
"I'll give Pono a call and see what they say" well today he calls me with the kinda good news of they are going to replace it but they don't do the satin finish anymore so I get a glossy but at least they are giving me a new one.

One of the guy that I jam with had the same thing happen to his Pono Tenor that he got around the same time and to the replacement one too... He is on his 3rd one in 6 months and he is just as anal about the humidity issues as I am, he even plays one of my spares when he comes over so he doesn't have to take his out of the house!!!!

Props to Pono for taking care of these issues but why are they happening....

I'm kinda bummed as I paid $$$ for the satin and didn't want the glossy....

Wow... that is really disconcerting. I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience. However, I'm glad to hear that you are at least getting a replacement.

Did you happen to take any pictures of your problem? If so, could you post them? They would be really helpful to others who may be experiencing the same problem.

Yikes. Pulling apart in 3 places! That's pretty bad. I luckily, have never had that happen to any of my instruments. And because I live in Hawaii, I never have to worry about humidifying. I do own one guitar humidifier, just because the KoAloha requires one for the warantee to be good. So it's pretty weird that you had it all carefully humidified and it still came apart. But I'm glad you're getting it replaced!

Do you prefer the satin finish for the sound or for the looks? AN old gunsmith's trick in dulling a shiny rifle stock is to use orange or lemon oil and 0000 steel wool, just oil up the wool and rub down the wood lightly in circular motions checking regularly the finish until it reaches the dullness you desire.

When I chose the Satin over the Gloss it was due to the sound. The gloss sounded muted but that was with the gold strings on both.
I even had one of the guys at the store play both from across the room to hear the difference.
I'm hoping that Aquillas will add more life to the sound of the Glossy when it comes.

I'll post some pic's when the wife brings home the camera.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you have had a problem, and can say it must be something odd that happened with you and your friends instruments. We have 9 Ponos and so far with all the travel and all the varying climes they have been drug to that we so far (knock on koa) have not had anything happen to them that we didn't inflict ourselves. :)

The Kitakis family stands behind their products as you see and will do whatever they can to make things right. You can be assured that John, Noa, and Dean will tear through a questionable instrument and learn what happened and how to rectify it in the future. That's why I like those guys, they have always stood behind their work and made sure customers are taken care of.

Good luck!

BTW: try the flurocarbons for strings to offset your quieter sound.

Yea props to Pono for sayin they would replace my uke with out even seeing it!!!

Kinda makes me wonder if this is happening to more than a few others???

I put up some pics but it is hard to tell the damage from them.. it's the white line going around the bottom where it's glued to the side.
If you drag your finger nail down the side it catches.
Also the seam on the bottom of the body is doing the same thing.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=436

I don't know for sure, but when it came to anything regarding the instruments Dean was all over getting us taken care of, no questions asked.

We had an 8 string that the bridge popped off after a weekend out camping, and we called monday and without hesitation they told us to send in the old one and we would get a new one and that they wouldn't even try to fix it, just gave us a new one. It's easier for them in that Dean can fix anything fixable when he can, and then put it in the scratch and dent room or donate to schools.

When I chose the Satin over the Gloss it was due to the sound. The gloss sounded muted but that was with the gold strings on both.
I even had one of the guys at the store play both from across the room to hear the difference.
I'm hoping that Aquillas will add more life to the sound of the Glossy when it comes.

If are going to change your strings and looking for a crisp clean sound, not just loud, you should really try Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings. I have them on a Gloss finish Pono, and it sounds sweet!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14285

Top Bottom