If you buy one CD this year...

bassfiddlesteve

Reaction score
...it should be this one ;)

“Square Pegs & Round Holes” is a compilation CD that I produced to benefit the American Asperger’s Association (AAA), a non-profit organization that provides free treatment to children with Asperger’s Syndrome which is a type of high functioning autism. The featured artists cover a wide range of genres but all incorporate the ukulele in their music which serves as the common thread. The CD features both new and previously recorded tracks by James Hil & Anne Davison, Greg Hawkes, Victoria Vox, Ian Whitcomb, John King, Jim Beloff, Lyle Ritz, John Kavanagh, Gerald Ross, Craig Robertson, Fred Sokolow, Tripping Lily, Bliss Blood, The Barnkickers, Brittni Paiva and The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. The tracks by John King and John Kavanagh are among the last they ever recorded as both of these great artists sadly passed away since contributing to this project.

You can obtain a copy on Flea Market Music and a digital version (minus the track by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain) is now available from Digstation. It will soon be available at CD Baby and other online retailers as well. 100% of the proceeds go the the AAA so you can get some great music and help a great cause all at the same time.

"Sqaure Pegs & Round Holes" at Flea Market Music

"Sqaure Pegs & Round Holes" at Digstation

- Steve

I really appreciate the cause of your CD! My little brother was diagnosed with Asbergers a few years ago and i definitely think that it needs to be more widely recognized and understood by the general public. Thank you for your wonderful selfless contribution! :)

Aloha Steve, Mahalo for this information, I'll gladly purchase this album in honor of John King, and John Kavanagh, but most importantly because my younger son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome 10 years ago but was able to finish high school near the top of his class Suma Cum Laude. His IQ has tested at 165. I am VERY proud of him. I personally thank every UU member who makes this purchase, mahalo a nui loa guys! :shaka:

I also have a son with Asperger's. It's a challenging condition, because much of the time people look at him and say, "he seems so normal." Well...as far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as normal - just varying degrees of human. He's brilliant and funny and has some challenges that he is learning to overcome. We just finished the school year with straight-A's through the entire year. I am also incredibly proud of my amazing son!

Thanks for doing this - I'll head over to FMM to check it out!

I'll support.:)
:anyone: else?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's bout 7 years ago. It's great to see causes like this that help make the public more aware of this "degree of human" to quote bbycrts.

I'd be pleased to buy this CD to support the cause. Could you post an update here when CD Baby has them available?

Thanks for providing us with the oppurtunity to contribute to this worthy cause. Great that 100% is going to AAA.

I also have a son with Asperger's. It's a challenging condition, because much of the time people look at him and say, "he seems so normal." Well...as far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as normal - just varying degrees of human. He's brilliant and funny and has some challenges that he is learning to overcome. We just finished the school year with straight-A's through the entire year. I am also incredibly proud of my amazing son!

Thanks for doing this - I'll head over to FMM to check it out!

I'm so happy to hear your encouraging story. My son has Asperger's as well. I know where your coming from. "He seems so normal"...until he has an outburst, then it's "he's just a spoiled brat" (loud noises usually set him off). The most difficult time I've had is dealing with the school and their ability to deal with him. Thankfully, they've gotten some different administration and my son has made huge progress thanks to his wonderful special ed teacher. He is destined to be an engineer...he's got "the nack"

Steve, thanks for bringing this CD to our attention. I work in mental health and daily see the challenges many folks face with various forms of intellectual disabilities.

It would be great to see hundreds of our UU family jump on this! It's a win-win because we get some wonderful music as a bonus.

It's interesting how many people have responded by sharing that someone in their family has Asperger's. My ten year old son was diagnosed with ADHD a while back but he most likley has Asperger's. He has been receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy through the group that this CD supports and we have seen some improvement. He's no longer taking any meds and we are hoping this can continue when school starts up again. The title song of the CD which was perfomed by my daughter and I (a.k.a. The Barnkickers) was written from the perspective of a child with Aspereger's as was Victoria Vox' contibution. Here are the lyrics to the song I wrote:

"Square Peg"

I don’t fit in
It’s not my crowd
And who gets to decide what’s not allowed?
I guess they cannot see
How hard it is to be
A square peg in a round world

It’s not my fault
I’m not to blame
It’s hard when nothing ever stays the same
There’s not much more to say
It’s just the role I play

Where is my shadow when the sun goes down?
How many fish are in the sea?
How come the moon is always following me?
And if we have a little time
Perhaps we’ll talk about the weather

The things I say
They come out wrong
And friends don’t seem to stick around too long
It’s too hard to explain
I guess I’ll just remain

There’s not much more to say
It’s just the role I play

- Steve

Aloha Steve, got my copy in the mail yesterday, and have been playing it in my truck ever since, mahalo for your assistance in this worthy cause. :shaka:

It's now available on CD Baby

- Steve

Thanks, Steve. Just went to CD Baby to place my order. They say that it's back-ordered, but my order seems to have gone through, anyway. I'll give it a while and see what happens. Thanks, again! If I enjoy this one half as much as I enjoy my Barnkickers CD I'm still ahead of the game....

Top Bottom