deformed top on new Ohana tenor !

headonz

Reaction score
This is my new Ohana tenor I have had for about two weeks and noticed that the top has deformed !

Is this normal or should I expect that the top should remain straight ?

It would appear that the bridge saddle has rotated forward.

picture.php

picture.php

A lot of ukuleles develop a little dip in the sound-board. I'd watch it closely. What you might be seeing is the effect of dryness. Is your place air-conditioned? Where is the ukulele sitting in the room in proximity to the air-conditioning?

I just checked my 1 year old Ohana concert and it has similar, although slightly, less dips in the top on either side of the bridge. I also noticed that the thickness of the sound box drops off slightly at the bottom inch or so. This appears to be by design as it is even all the way across. I do not have any rotation of the bridge mount. I live 2 miles from the beach and I'm too cheap for air-conditioning so humidity is not a big issue for me.

On closer inspection I see that the sound board dips slightly in all directions,meaning when I apply my straight edge from front to back beside the bridge it shows a lower point at the bridge than either edge.

You would have to wonder if that was not built in to compensate for the pull of the strings over time ?

The only 'higher than the outer edge ' point is directly behind the bridge to outer edge.

Being the middle of winter here and that I live only 30 yrds from high tide of the Tasman Sea I dont see humidity being an issue at this time.I could be wrong.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with a high end uke if they also have this issue.

Top Bottom