so im going to hawaii..

Give my friend Tangi a call. Tell him Dean from HPD sent you. He has ukulele's in all different price ranges. Another good thing is that you are buying directly from him and not through a retailer. Here is his website.

http://www.tangiukuleles.net/

Going to waikiki

Hey guys can't have 2 out of 3 without the third person. ha .i am also going to be in waikiki I will be there on the 5th of april and looking to purchase a tenor .Do we get better deals for 3 ukuleles??

In Oahu, check out Good Guys Music & Sound, Dan's Guitars, & Hawaii Music Supply for a pretty good selection and great prices. Check out Ukulele Pua Pua at Waikiki for a pretty wide selection, although the prices are not as good (everything on Waikiki is expensive). Of course, you should also pay musicguymic a visit if possible. If you have the budget for a high end custom, pay Shawn Yacavone a visit. He's great.

I was in Oahu this past January. My ukulele advantures during that trip could be read here. :D

ill be leaving to oahu on wednesday for about a week....
i am planning on buying a uke out there...
anyone know about any good stops???
You might also check out Craigslist (if you have access to computer) and the local papers. There are several others who specialize in custom builds but here's a list of the ones often mentioned . . . BTW, they are all O'ahu based. Good Luck and have a fun.

G String
Derek Shimizu
99-1451 Koaha Pl.
Halawa Valley, HI
808-487-1193

Kamaka
550 South Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
1-808-531-3165 office
1-808-531-3167 fax

Ko'olau
401 N.Cane Street
Unit A-10
Wahiawa, Hawaii 96786
phone: 808-622-1064
fax: 808-622-1646
e-mail: sales@koolauukulele.com

KoAloha
744 Kohou Street
Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone: (808) 847-4911
Toll Free in the USA: 866-840-4911
Email: info@koaloha.com

Kanilea
46-216 Kahuhipa Street #3
Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
U.S. toll free number: 1-866-334-2868
Office number: 1-808-234-2868
Fax number: 1-808-234-2868

im staying in kilua and im right down the street from a msic shop called Coconut Grove and i found the uke that i wanted...
its a Kala KA-JTE2TS... its an archtop tenor kala... for 325... any thoughts?
heres what it looks like... its cheaper through kala but they ae out of stock...

kala-arch.jpg

you should go to kamaka...i think on tuesdays, they give a tour of their factory at around 10:30ish and i heard that it's amazing. You may not buy an ukulele there, but just go for the experience. =D

im staying in kilua and im right down the street from a msic shop called Coconut Grove and i found the uke that i wanted...
its a Kala KA-JTE2TS... its an archtop tenor kala... for 325... any thoughts?
heres what it looks like... its cheaper through kala but they ae out of stock...

kala-arch.jpg

$325 is too much for that one. musicguymic has it for less here. And I'm pretty sure some of the music stores in Oahu actually has better prices if they got it in stock. You should shop around.

yeah... i know its a bit much... but usicguymike isnt available until april 10 and i want the uke now so i wont have to pay shipping... other stores i went didnt have it in stock... plus the store is right by where im staying... but im going to the swap meet tomorrow to look around too... we'll see what happens..

Last edited:
Musicguymic is off island for the Merry Monarch Festival. You could try Hawaii Music Supply in Wahiawa. They have all wall full of ukes. Pretty good prices there. Btw...this is the Kitaki's family of the very good Ko'olau (& Pono) ukulele.

http://www.hawaiimusicsupply.com/

But you know what....if that is the uke you want, go for it. Just remember its about what sounds and feels good to you. If that is the only store you can get it at and you don't mind spending the money, more power too you. I am happy that you found what you want. We all have to do that but others like myself have
the dredded UAS....ukulele acquisition syndrome....and never get enough ukulele. I know you are probably on a tight schedule so do what ya gotta do.

Sorry....wrong scoops gang. Musicguymic is in NY for a ukulele convention. Tangi is in Hilo for the Merrie Monarch Festival.

Last edited:
I am also going to HI, any tips on solid wood ukes at a good price, is the kala tenor the best bet? thanks

musicguymike has a physical store right??? if so does anyone know the physical address???

No. Musicguymic works out of his home in Kaneohe. Email him and see what he'll do with you. I don't know if he will have you come to his home or meet you somewhere.

Everything kind of depends on what you have to spend. There are tons of ukes to choose from. Lots of places in Hawaii you can go. Sorry, but kind of stay away from uke shops in Waikiki and the Major shopping centers. They have their typical mark-ups to cover cost of rent and payroll. Try contact musicguymic on ebay, try contact tangi at www.tangiukuleles.com or try Hawaii Music Supply in Wahiawa...www.hawaiimusicsupply.com. You can't go wrong with any of these three.

No. Musicguymic works out of his home in Kaneohe. Email him and see what he'll do with you. I don't know if he will have you come to his home or meet you somewhere.

yeah i emailed him.. he is out of town right now... he said he only does special appointments... but i will try those stores... i kinda dont have the money for a tangi uke though.. i wish i did though!!

yeah i emailed him.. he is out of town right now... he said he only does special appointments... but i will try those stores... i kinda dont have the money for a tangi uke though.. i wish i did though!!

You must have an idea of what you want....a concert? tenor? Tangi has ukes that are "physcially challenged"....meaning, sometimes during the build process, glue may spill on the inside, or there may be a blemish in the wood after applying the finish but bascially these challenges dont affect the play ability. Its just that retail shops require better. Very good prices on these. Email him and ask him......oh......go and asking him about trades.....he's always open to see what you have to get rid of in compensation for cash!!!!

You must have an idea of what you want....a concert? tenor? Tangi has ukes that are "physcially challenged"....meaning, sometimes during the build process, glue may spill on the inside, or there may be a blemish in the wood after applying the finish but bascially these challenges dont affect the play ability. Its just that retail shops require better. Very good prices on these. Email him and ask him......oh......go and asking him about trades.....he's always open to see what you have to get rid of in compensation for cash!!!!

would you happen to know any of his prices for a tenor uke???

Geez.....I forgot today is Sunday. I have to give him a call on Monday when he is there and he'll go check and see what he has.....correct wording......"cosmetically challenged".....not physically challenged ukes.
When are you going to be here on Oahu?

already here bro... and im leaving on tuesday... i have nothing planned for myself on monday so i hope to be uke shopping all day...

Top Bottom