How to do these kinds of videos?

Johnny Elsewhere

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I've been interested in making my own videos with multiple instruments at once, but don't know how to do it properly. Can anyone give me an in-dept explanation on how Puremarkska does it?

Dancing in the moonlight

It's really creative, and I was just wondering how in the world he does it.

What software are you using?

What version of iMovie? I don't know how to use the new versions, I stuck with iMovie HD.

iMovie '08, version 7.1.1. I should look for an upgrade to HD. Hm ..

It's not an "upgrade," per se. iMovie HD has been discontinued and replaced by 08 and 09. Search around a bit, you'll see that 08 and 09 actually have less features than HD.

that's the sad thing. imovie HD had all cool and easy to use video and audio FX. the newer versions don't. a real head-scratcher.:confused:

They discovered that those features where undercutting Final Cut Pro sales… So they created a new version without those features… The improved several things about content management (they actually did a really nice job with that), so the average user doesn't notice.

I am also curious what workflow and software folks use for multi-track videos…

I tried to use video recorded while I recorded the audio tracks in Garageband… which gave me a great audio recording… but I found that neither iMovie '09 or iMovie HD would properly sync the video to the garageband output (the video and audio would drift)… I ended up just recording a single track (though you can see some harmonica outakes with the multi-track audio at the end).

Any tips on how to do this with iMovie HD? or will I need something like Final Cut? (also, what do folks use for the split screen views?)

Edit: There is a little more info in this thread. Some clever uses of Quicktime Pro. However it doesn't quite cover multi-track (mostly deals with multiple cameras on the same take).

Last edited:
One not on iMovie - the very latest version finally lets you do most of what HD let you do - filters, speed changes (slow mo, fast, etc...) and now also lets you do split screen (PIP really) and superimposed cuts (instead of splitting the first clip).

So while the fist "upgrade" from iMovie HD sucked eggs, the newest one is quite good. I no longer have to use Final Cut for - well, anything really.

One not on iMovie - the very latest version finally lets you do most of what HD let you do - filters, speed changes (slow mo, fast, etc...) and now also lets you do split screen (PIP really) and superimposed cuts (instead of splitting the first clip).

So while the fist "upgrade" from iMovie HD sucked eggs, the newest one is quite good. I no longer have to use Final Cut for - well, anything really.

Aha! You have to go into preferences and select "Show Advanced Tools" for this to show up! Excellent. Thank you, GrumpyCoyote.

(though it does seem to only allow one PIP clip at a time…)

Last edited:
I am also curious what workflow and software folks use for multi-track videos…

If it's just me, and not a collab, I still use iMovie HD.

I tried to use video recorded while I recorded the audio tracks in Garageband… which gave me a great audio recording… but I found that neither iMovie '09 or iMovie HD would properly sync the video to the garageband output (the video and audio would drift)… I ended up just recording a single track (though you can see some harmonica outakes with the multi-track audio at the end).

Any tips on how to do this with iMovie HD? or will I need something like Final Cut?

I have used the same method. I film my recording performances and edit everything together. An example of this is my "Brown Woman" video.

I haven't run into any problems concerning audio synch. When I get close, I just zoom in as far as I can and chop the video by a couple tenths of a second until it's perfect. It helps if you leave the audio in. When both the video's audio and your GarageBand track are the same, you know you're in synch. When you've got it perfect, you can toggle the audio off.

(also, what do folks use for the split screen views?)

Up until recently, I've used a plug-in from GeeThree. It's part of their Slick suite of plug-ins for iMovie. I don't know what happened, but after I upgraded my system software, everything I've done with that plug-in has been off-synch. I wouldn't recommend it. For an example, take a look at my "It's Cold Outside" video.

For any split screen stuff that I do now, I've used Final Cut Express. It's a higher learning curve, but I've been able to have some success. Besides, I'm sure that learning Final Cut will pay off in the long run. For an example, see my "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" collaboration with Russ.

Thanks, Seeso. This was very useful information.

iMovie HD wins just for providing a simple way to add reverb to the videos audio track. Quite useful if you are using the video as your audio source and want to avoid pulling out the audio to manipulate externally.

Final Cut always leaves me feeling overwhelmed… I just don't have time for it.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Seeso. This was very useful information.

iMovie HD wins just for providing a simple way to add reverb to the videos audio track. Quite useful if you are using the video as your audio source and want to avoid pulling out the audio to manipulate externally.

Final Cut always leaves me feeling overwhelmed… I just don't have time for it.

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, I haven't used my video as my audio source in a while.

Final Cut does seem imposing at first. I have Final Cut Express, and I'll tell you that for a simple split screen effect, it wasn't that hard to learn.

Just to clarify, I haven't used my video as my audio source in a while.

Final Cut does seem imposing at first. I have Final Cut Express, and I'll tell you that for a simple split screen effect, it wasn't that hard to learn.

This tutorial on YouTube was very helpful. Final Cut is one of those things that is not too hard if you know what you are doing, but very obtuse if you don't.

I will have to see what I can do next time I record a multi-track piece.

Top Bottom