Where do you store your uke?

LazyRiver

Reaction score
I just got started with my first uke a few months ago, but am already contemplating getting another. Some (many?) of you have a whole lot more than one or two. Just curious: where do you store or display them? In cases? In closets? on the wall? Hanging from the ceiling (just kidding, I think)?

-- Al

I only just got my first uke, but I own umpteen guitars and mandos.

I store them all in their cases, some under the bed, some in my practice room.

Honestly, leaving them on stands or hanging them on wall hooks just exposes them to the elements (like humidity or lack thereof, and sunshine). They'd also be prone to gather dust in intricate areas like the tuners.

Three of them hanging on the wall, one stored in it's case, one by my chair on a stand ready and waiting if the mood hits me.

All three are hanging on the wall. I know, I know, they should be in cases. But they are so pretty I consider them works of art, and they are much more convenient to grab and play this way...

Honestly, leaving them on stands or hanging them on wall hooks just exposes them to the elements (like humidity or lack thereof, and sunshine).

This is why I have never regretted the Fluke and the Flea.

I surf, and I have my longboard hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom (everything of value I sleep with ;)) And I have my various 'ukulele on top of the surfboard. Nothing on display except my piece of crap coconut shell 'ukulele.

In their cases standing by the head of my bed, right by my pillow, so I can touch them even when I'm sleeping, just like when my children were newborns.

Most of my ukes are in cases. I have one of them lying around not in a case to pick up and play at any time. Most of the cases are just on the floor, but I've got a few stacked on top and around my 2x12 amp. I read that the vibrations from the amp simulate playing the ukes (all at the same time) and help the wood to mature and open up and sound better. I have no idea if it's true, but hey, it's worth a try!

Hanging on the wall

Mine hang on the wall next to where I sit on the computer, so easy access to grab and play.

(That said, they don't all have cases, sadly. I purposely put them on a wall away from sunlight and far away from the radiator in that room so they're not exposed to large temperature changes. I think it works as they always stay in tune perfectly and I would associate temperature changes with the ukes going out of tune.)

It seems to work for me.
Anna :)

All are kept in cases, side by side in an isolated corner away from traffic and the dog... except the Fluke, its stored upright next to the door or at the foot of the bed or next to the computer...

There's an old saying that the best place for an instrument is either in your hands or in the case. If you talk to a luthier, they likely have seen it all for repair, from dog chewing to someone falling out of bed onto the instrument (an undignified end given the fact that the uke is a romantic instrument). If you are not playing as much as you should, leave it out in plain sight so you feel more compelled to pick it up and play, otherwise take care of it.

change in temp and humidity are bad for wooden instruments, particularly if the change is rapid. Keep the case(s) away from forced air heat ducts and air conditioners. Don't leave the case in a car sitting in the hot sun, and places like that....fleas and flukes seem to be most tolerant to abuse you wouldn't inflict on a solid koa ukulele.

The flea used to sit on the desk by the computer, now the Boat Paddle does. (It's a security blanket.) I'm thinking of taking the flea to work and set it on the desk there since I'm finding it hard to type without a uke within reach.

The flea is in its case right now. The Risa solid is always under a pile on the desk and the Kala U Bass hangs on my only wall hanger in the living room/office.

When I'm gone for a few days, I'll put the ukes that are left behind in their cases with humidifiers.

I keep all of mine piled on the bed so I can roll around naked with them.
:biglaugh:

I keep them in their cases most of the time. The fluke is out on the futon right now and 2 are on the dining room table. I finally got brave enough to lower the bridge action on them yesterday and have been tuning and playing them every couple of hours. I took my time and they turned out really nice, so much easier to play now. I did do my homework and spoke to several people, including luthiers, before attempting it. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I will probably put them back in their cases today. I monitor the humidity in my house and run a humidifier during the winter months to keep all of the guitars and ukuleles happy.
Regards,
Ray

I store them in their softcases on a rack on the wall. I never even remove the cases from the rack. Just unzip, and pull out a uke! Actually I've added 2 more ukes to my rack since this pic was taken... UAS!!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

uke_rack.jpg

Used to keep them all on the couch. Now I have the baritone on a wall hanger, the Flea standing up anywhere I need it, and the Kamaka soprano in a hard case. The only uke on my couch at the moment is my bridgeless Harmony soprano that I'm in the process of restoring, poorly.

In their cases, otherwise my devilish cats would undoubtedly christen my ukes new scratching toys.:eek:

Storage

I keep them in their cases, except for the Fluke that sits next to my computer. Two of our Ko'olaus came with Ameritage cases. I really, really, really like these cases because they have a built-in humidifier gauge and thingy. The cases are also very well built.:shaka:

Top Bottom