baritone ukulele

veep

Reaction score
any of you know of any good baritone ukulele 's ? I have a friend who plays the guitar I told him about the baritone and he said he may give it a try .

I tried the Pono mahogany baritone and quite liked the sound. It was still not as good as the sound of any of my guitars so I figured it wouldn't make sense to keep it.
I would still recommend it to other people though.

I have a Mahalo baritone and I'd suggest crossing it OFF your list.

One of the best baritones I have played is the Ohana BK-32, solid mahogany with tortoise-shell binding. It is a sweet sounding uke with a pretty nice volume, but the fit and finish were superb. It is the best baritone uke I have had.

You can pick up used Harmony solid Mahogany Baritones for a song on ebay but preferably the pre 1960 ones made in the USA the later one being Japan made, and of nice quality but from what Gather not as nice sounding.

I have a Lanikai LU-21B that I bought for less than $100 when I first thought I wanted to try one out. It is a great sounding instrument, very loud, great sustain. The action was a little high close to the body, but for the money I didn't mind filing the bridge down a bit.

I would definitely recommend it for someone who is thinking of giving the baritone a try but doesn't want to spend and arm and a leg.

good baritones

Hi,

I started with baritone, moving from guitar. I have a great Bushman baritone and a very nice Kala Koa electric/acoustic, both of which I'm selling because I've settled on the tenor.

The baritone has the advantage that it's easier for someone used to a guitar's spacing and it has a deep rich tone. You can also tune it like a uke by using Aguila's special strings to do so. Otherwise you must find baritone music or transpose to the regular uke's key.

A baritone and a tenor or concert or soprano sound nice together. The Bushman has a very sweet tone and the neck is fast. They're hard to find and are becoming collectors' items. Kalas are more readily available and are decent as all Kalas tend to be. I enjoy a Kala archtop tenor and a Bushman tenor. I'm selling my baritones because I want to go up a level and get a Hawaiian tenor. It is also harder to fly with a baritone.

baritone ukes - 2 ends of the spectrum

Best baritone uke for the $$ - a used Favilla that is in good or better shape.

Best baritone uke when $$ is not an issue - Martin, hands down

One of the best baritones I have played is the Ohana BK-32, solid mahogany with tortoise-shell binding. It is a sweet sounding uke with a pretty nice volume, but the fit and finish were superb. It is the best baritone uke I have had.

Ditto on the Ohana. I picked one up for my girlfriend (BK-20, solid top only) and was very impressed with the sound and sustain, plus the action felt good without messing around with it.

Last edited:
All I know is that it's in the same tune as a guitar.

You can pick up used Harmony solid Mahogany Baritones for a song on ebay but preferably the pre 1960 ones made in the USA the later one being Japan made, and of nice quality but from what Gather not as nice sounding.

It's not the lack of quality... it is the age. Those Japanese-made Harmony ukes are really starting to sound good these days, when you find one in good shape.

any of you know of any good baritone ukulele 's ? I have a friend who plays the guitar I told him about the baritone and he said he may give it a try .

Is your friend a good guitar player?

Because if he is pretty good, the odds are that a baritone ukulele will just bore him. Pretty much any sound you can make with a baritone can be duplicated on a guitar.

A soprano, concert or tenor OTOH will give him a whole new set of sounds to play around with. And it's not that hard to adapt if he has his guitar down pat. If he is good enough, all you need to tell him is that the ukulele is the same as the guitar capoed on the fifth fret and he should be able to figure out all the chords he needs and play melody lines on the bottom three strings.

Because if he is pretty good, the odds are that a baritone ukulele will just bore him.

Really? I find the opposite to be true. I'm a pretty good guitar player and I find the narrower range of available notes on a baritone to be a fun and exciting challenge, in the same way I'm challenged by my gCEA ukes.

Because if he is pretty good, the odds are that a baritone ukulele will just bore him. Pretty much any sound you can make with a baritone can be duplicated on a guitar.

A soprano, concert or tenor OTOH will give him a whole new set of sounds to play around with. And it's not that hard to adapt if he has his guitar down pat. If he is good enough, all you need to tell him is that the ukulele is the same as the guitar capoed on the fifth fret and he should be able to figure out all the chords he needs and play melody lines on the bottom three strings.

I have played guitar and ukulele for over forty years and I find lots of difference between a baritone uke and a guitar. The string tension is totally different and while the tuning is the same, DGBE, the way you play is a lot different at times. I do love to play tunes like Hotel California on a baritone and watch uke players start to drool over one of my baritones.

The other good thing about a bari is that it offers you a low-end when playing with a group of ukulele people. Nothing fills in the bottom like a bari when it comes to a uke ensemble. Guitars over-power the ukes, but a bari does not.

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun playing baritone even though I've been playing guitar much longer. It's a challenge to play songs I know on guitar without the two low strings, but the sound and feel inspire me to try things I wouldn't try on a guitar.

If I was in the market for another baritone, I'd put Mainland and Kala on my list. Don't play baritone enough to justify owning an expensive Hawaiian-made one. But my Aria (made in Japan in the 70s) is great. I agree with Pippin; a baritone complements a smaller GCEA uke better than a guitar does in the sense that it won't overpower the smaller instrument.

Top Bottom