Purchased New Oscar Schmit OU6 Tenor

Reno Dave

Reaction score
Aloha All,
I took delivery today of a new OS OU6 Tenor (koa wood) today. I have been playing a Lanikai LU 21 Tenor for some time now and it has provided countless hours of entertainment. The only thing I did was replace the factory strings for D'Addario Hawaiian J54 Tenor Strings. They improved sound and volume.
So, I thought it was time to upgrade and I purchased the OU6. I noticed a signifcant improvement in craftmanship once I opened the box. But, as I went through chords, riffs, plucking and strumming I noticed a signifcant loss in volume compared to the Lanikai which is less expensive. I was hoping this would be my new "go to" uke but am disappointed. It's a beautiful ukulele with a richer tone but no volume.
Before I leap out to the UPS Store to send it back to the vendor, I thought of asking for help and any input or suggestions from fellow players. One thought I had was to replace the factory strings for starters.
Thanks,
Reno Dave

The D'Addario strings aren't particularly loud either. If you're trying to squeeze some volume out of it, try out the Aquila Nylguts.

The D'Addario strings aren't particularly loud either. If you're trying to squeeze some volume out of it, try out the Aquila Nylguts.

That worked beautifully for the sweet little OS-OU5 I got a couple of weeks ago. It came with an unknown brand (a wound D) and the first thing I did on the second day I had it was head down to the local uke shop and have them put some Aquilas on it and show me how to do it myself next time. I was pretty amazed at the difference!

It comes with Nylguts on it.

The Oscar Schmidt ukes are not loud players, but they have really nice tone. What you might do is exchange it for the OU-6LCE (same uke with electronics - UK-2000 pickup). It sounds great plugged in and really was designed for stage performers.

I don't know if you heard my cover of the Eagle's song, Desperado, but this is played on the OU-5LCE (concert body, tenor neck). This has the UK-2000 pickup...

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.mp3

I picked this song because it would show off the uke's tone. I bought it specifically for the pickup, cut-away, and looks knowing that it was a laminated uke, not solid, which for gigging is what I wanted.

Top Bottom