Strumming down with thumb...

jinsk90

Reaction score
Do you guys use your nail when you strum down with your thumb? For example Dominator seems to strum down with his thumb a lot, do you guys usually use the flesh of your thumb or the nail?

Thanks.

Flesh but

I used the flesh of my thumb to strum, but really it's whatever works best for you.

I hold my index finger(pointer) and thumb together like i'm holding an imaginary pick, the index strums down and thumb strums up. :rock:

You can use any part of the thumb that feels good to you, using the nail will result in a different sound, just experiment, there is no hard and fast way of strumming the ukulele.
Generally the fleshy part of the thumb and fingers produce a more mellow sound and the nail part gives a brighter tone, it all depends on the sound you are trying to creat.

If I want an unassuming subtle sound, I use the thumb. If I want something more pronounced or am not paying attentiuon, I use the nail on my index finger.

thanks guys that makes sense. I usually strum with my index, but to get a mellow sound I use the flesh of my thumb. I tried growing my thumb nail; when I used my thumb nail my nail would either break or get stuck while strumming down. Short answer, I'll stick with using the flesh when I strum with my thumb.

Top Bottom