Flea Ukulele Review

Link

Reaction score
So much talk about Flea lately (and for good reason) that I did a video review to help with some of the questions. Well.. at least to give my opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0cHL3ZNkY

I highly recommend Flea for your outdoor, or take everywhere uke. But beware: you may not play your other ukes anymore. They have an incredible sound and are so easy to just pick up and play!

Aloha John, Awesome job on your review. My wife just adopted my honu Fluke so I'm gonna have to start saving for my dream Flea a plain vanilla with plastic fret board except of course for the pineapple graphics. Looking forward to the video. :shaka:

Thanks fellazzzz.

Ahnko.. you can't let her have that uke! It might as well be a sig uke for you, with the Honu stickers and such. But.. a flea would be better. Pineapple shaped :shaka: The vanilla color idea sounds way cool, too.

A very nice review there Link. And you are right when you say they are adictive and might just pick up your Flea all the time instead of your other ones.

Can I just add to all players who may have a Flea, or may be thinking of getting one, an ordinary plastic everything Flea is pretty darn good right off the shelf.
To have some upgrades put on though (although not needed) makes it even better.

Also, I was an Aquila everything person, and they do sound great on a Flea, but when UAS struck me (all the time I may add) instead of getting another Uke, I went for SAS (string) and ordered many different strings to try.
I put Worths on my Concert Flea and they sound much better, although this would be subjective of course.
But honestly, do try different strings especially on the Flea because they do make a difference.

When I upgrade, I'n definitely keeping Flea in mind. I keep flip-flopping between Flea, Fluke, and Kala. I'd want a concert, a rosewood fretboard and pickup. It just seems you can get all that plus a hard case and preamp for less money with a Kala.

Great video.
Thanks.
That's true.
But I chose to go with the Flea in those options with a Koa top and I don't regret it one bit purely because it came to me as if it was built for me rather like a custom job, and it is superbly built with a low action.

I purchased my Flea right off the shelf (plastic fretboard-no upgrades) and it has been the best $169.00 I have ever spent! Great low action, neck is comfortable-so very easy to play. I would say to any uke player-you have to have one of these in your collection!

You make a good point, Tim. I guess for the price of a tricked out Flea, one could get a Kala AND a basic flea. There's food for thought.

The upgraded Flea is not worth it in my opinion. It takes away from the charm and throw-around-ability of the Flea when you get a solid top, rosewood fretboard and bridge. I would honestly pay MORE for the plastic fretboard and bridge.

By the way, Witters, I put some Worth Browns on my Flea today and you were correct. Worths seem to take the Flea's tone to even greater heights. to anyone out there... always be sure to try many different types of strings.. different strings have a much more profound impact on tone than on guitar or bass.

The upgraded Flea is not worth it in my opinion. It takes away from the charm and throw-around-ability of the Flea when you get a solid top, rosewood fretboard and bridge. I would honestly pay MORE for the plastic fretboard and bridge.
To each their own...while I agree that the basic Flea is a great deal and certainly does have its charm and uses, the $500+ (not including the case) I spent on my custom Flea was totally worth it to me. Either way they're fun ukes.

I also agree with you on trying out different strings. I've got Ko'olau Golds on mine at the moment.

Last edited:
At one time (I don’t know about now) Flea’s/Flukes were not that easy to get hold of in the UK. So when I found a store that had one I bought it straight away.
I was amazed at how easy they were to play compared to the horrible time I had over another Uke’s that cost double and then some compared to what I paid for the Flea.
I basically then just used the Flea all the time but wanted an all solid which I had shipped in from the States. This one was simply not as good as the Flea and I was very disappointed.

Time marched on and I decided to go with a Flea upgraded. My logic was that I was guaranteed to get something that well made, had a decent fretboard and top etc etc because you really cant get a bad Flea, so any upgrades would make it even better.
On the other hand, it was possible that I could have bought something else that I just didn’t like and I was back to square 1.

The Flea now is not like a Flea - well it is but there is something much better here. A newer sound and it does look the part. Yes it still has the composite back, but with Koa top and Rosewood fretboard and Walnut neck, it somehow seems like a different instrument.
The playability is the same because of the zero fret so it is nice and smooth.

I know that a Flea is a Flea is a Flea, and the idea behind part of it is that it’s a take anywhere, throw around, instrument, and the plastic fretboard is fine and capable, but here’s the thing - I actually like the ordinary Flea’s sound over many other solid woods anyway. And I am happier, more confident, and play it far better than anything else I have tried.
The upgraded one adds a bit of class to it and in my opinion takes the sound a stage further. Hence, I am more than happy with it and although it has lost the charm you speak of, it does have its own charm.

I agree 100%. The "basic" Flea with plastic fretboard sounds better than some high end ukes that I have heard / played. I actually felt guilty the first time I played the flea and bought it a few minutes later. I felt this uke is so cheap and over half plastic, what are people gonna say? But the sound was so soothing! And I'm having fun playing it....and that's what counts at the end of the day!

great thorough review John!

i have 2 flukes, one with plastic fretboard, one with the rosewood. one doesn't sound any better than the other. far as i'm concerned, the rosewood upgrade is just for aesthetics. oh, also probably good to have the rosewood upgrade if you want to use any wound strings. just my 2 cents.

But Russ, did you have the top upgraded to Koa like I did?

It does sound different than the normal Pine tops.

But Russ, did you have the top upgraded to Koa like I did?

It does sound different than the normal Pine tops.

both flukes pine. both sound great. just making a comment on the different fretboard materials.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I would be more than happy with a Pine top and plastic frets anyway especially if I was on a budget.
With the Pine you can have designs done on them or even paint them yourself, which if you have the Koa, you obviously wouldn't.

I
With the Pine you can have designs done on them or even paint them yourself, which if you have the Koa, you obviously wouldn't.

Thats exactly the reason why I got me a new (lava) flea this week: There is no lack of ukes in this house, but I happened to find a design on the internets that would most perfectly fit on a black uke. So I got me a vector graphic-version and a supplier of rub on vinyl decals. I wouldn´t do this to a koa uke.

Oh, and I also dig the plastic fretboard. Hooray for plastic fretboards!:music:

Do they still have the raised edge on the body-top juncture? I had one several years ago and hated that. I always use forearm pressure to hold the uke in position, and every time I played I wound up with a nice red welt on my arm. Retired, then gifted it. Other than that, it was a great uke.

Top Bottom