40 Aniversary Guava Jam

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I'm listening to one of my favorite all-time musical groups "Sunday Manoa" listening to my favorite hit from their "Guava Jam" album "Kawika" which honors one of Hawai'i's greatest kings King David "Kawika" Kalakaua (credited for introducing the 'ukulele to Hawaiian music, and also returning to the Hawaiian culture the Hula which missionaries had banned many years before) when I realized what an old dinosaur I am. This album and song came out in 1969 when I was 9 years old, still gives me "chicken skin" (goose bumps) every time I listen to it. Of course that's the Brothers Cazimero (Robert & Roland) on vocals and guitar, and the great Peter Moon on 'ukulele. I would recommend every 'ukulele aficionado pick up every "Sunday Manoa" album, and hear what many of us older generation Hawaiians grew up listening to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0X40GZA_r4 :shaka:

GOTTA add "Pua Lilia from the "Cracked Seed" album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4bZfxcA7AY

Last edited:
Thanks for that link and the story. I really enjoyed that. I have heard many covers from more recent artists.. which in itself says that this song is classic. But never heard the original. It is really good, and I gotta get those albums for my mp3 player.

Wow, no can believe was dat long ago. No foget da odda two albums; Crack Seed (1972) and Sunday Manoa 3 (1973). Peter, Roland and Robert brought Hawaiian music back into the limelight.

Excerpt from The Hula Source

The Sunday Manoa began as a trio featuring Peter Moon (`ukulele, guitar), Cyril Pahinui (guitar), and Albert "Baby" Kalima, Jr. (bass). The album debut of The Sunday Manoa was with a young singer named Palani Vaughan. For their next album, "Hawaiian Time" (now out of print), Cyril left the group and was replaced by Bla Pahinui, his brother.

These years of the group were, of course, formative but underneath and directing the force was always Peter Moon. Now came a new era. Peter decided to start on a new track and he chose Robert and Roland Cazimero ( The Brothers Cazimero) to join him for another Sunday Manoa LP, "Guava Jam." This trio went on to record two more classic albums, "Cracked Seed" and "Sunday Manoa 3," before going their separate ways.

244.jpg

• Kawika
  • Only You
  • Heha Waipi`o
  • Kaulana `O Waimanalo
  • Ka`ililaukokekoa
  • Mehameha
  • He Hawai`i Au
  • Maika`i Ka Makani O Kohala
  • Ka La`i `Opua
  • Poli Pumehana
  • Guava Jam

kboo_2055_5259659

• Hula Lady
  • Medley
    * Kilakila O Moanalua
    * Moanalua
  • Pua Lilia
  • Na Moku `Eha
  • Beautiful Kahana
  • Honolulu Baby
  • The Queen's Jubilee
  • Pua Kolu
  • Pa`au`au Waltz
  • Honolulu I Am Coming Back Again

kboo_2055_23117982

• Eleu Mikimiki
  • Nani Ka`ala
  • Luka O Kokee
  • Manu Ulaula
  • Ua Like No A Like
  • Ka Lama A`e One
  • Waiomina
  • Medley
    * Pupu Hinuhinu
    * Kahuli Aku
  • Medley
    * Hilo Hanakahi
    * Hilo E
  • A Hawaiian Lullaby

Mahalo fo' da input, I get all 3 albums but foaget "Guava Jam" was from '69. make me feel real makule. I get all the old Gabby Pahunui, and Hui Ohana albums too, make me cry when I listen, remind me of my dad. He wen pass away in 2007.

these groups were background music growing up, along with Olomana, Country Comfort, C&K, blended into contemporary music, that I couldn't really tell the difference betw Hawaiian and Mainland music albeit with Hawaiian lyrics. It's funny when I got back in touch with this music, I knew the lyrics, I knew the voices, I knew the sound. Now that I buy the re-issues (just bought Gabby and Atta Isaacs last night!) my dad, allows me to play music in his car again.

Top Bottom