Ukulele Longevity

Witters

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Is this a stupid question, but I wondered just how long a Uke lasts before it becomes ready for the wood pile?

To be more specific, I know there is plenty of Vintage Uke's out there, which sometimes come to auction in very good condition, but have they been played fairly often and been looked after, or have they just seen rare playing time.

All things being equal, and if you took care of a Uke that you played daily, would that Uke last your playing days out?
I know that some things may become worn over time and have to be replaced, but would the body as a whole stand many years worth of playing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no knowledge of this area.

A good ukulele cared for properly can out live its owner.

Certainly, as you say, things may need to be fixed or replaced from time to time.

It would be possible to wear out a uke, but it would take one HELLUVA lot of playing, and a very unsympathetic technique. I'm thinking of fret board wear, and strumming "erosion" on the front.

The very early ukes can suffer from cracks, mostly caused by changes in temperature and humidity, and the glues used to make them did not have good lasting qualities.

Given normal care, a modern uke should last a lifetime.

Ukantor.

I'm not sure.. If it's a good ukulele and not a crappy one, then I guess that it will last long...

Ukantor is right. There are lots of vintage ukes out there that have no problems at all. There are far more that were abused or have cracks all over them due to dryness and changes in elevation. I have seem many with damage from dropping or crushing incidents.

A ukulele that you buy today should last a life-time if it is treated properly.

Top Bottom