Recommendation on Concert Size

jazzuke

Reaction score
Hello All,
New to this forum...I've been playing uke for about 10 years. Have a couple of hand-made sopranos and want to add a concert size to my arsenal.

I've narrowed my choices down to Kanilea, Koaloha, Tony Graziano, Collings (have a guitar he made I'm tremendously fond of).

Looking for something with very good action, complex sound, and also very nice craftsmanship, without too much flash....the Moore Bettah (Not So Basic Uke) also has caught my eye.

Being in KY, not exactly the hotbed of uke art...I thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone has strong opinions, recommendations, thoughts.

Anthony

I can't compare as I only have a KoAloha out of that bunch, BUT those ukuleles have everything you want. AND their customer service is fantastic! Just saying......

I have a Moore Bettah Not So Basic Concert uke and I cannot reccomend getting one enough. Chuck makes some superb ukes and sends updates about progress. I really cannot compare it to anything else having not played that many other ukes but man oh man, you would not be disappointed.

I'm saving my pennies for a Kepasa ukulele, made by Kevin Crossett. I tried a uke he had on display at the Musuem of Making Music a while back, and it was beautifully made, with low action, a compensated bridge, a real vvintage feel, and most of all, an absolutely scrumptious tone that would fabulous for Tin Pan Alley, Jazz and fingerpicking. No wonder players like Craig Robertson & MarkOcchionero (see his youtube jazzukes videos) have Kepasa ukes.

http://kepasaukulele.com/index.htm

I have the Kanile'a out of that bunch and it is fantastic. Love it. Workmanship is first rate, the tone is stunning.

Of course, I have lusted after Chuck Moore's ukes ever since I first saw them...if you can get a not-so-basic that would probably get my vote. If not, I vote Kanile'a.

They are all good instruments. What I would do is check out some recordings that are posted here and on UkuleleCosmos and listen to the tone. They will all play well and are set up well.

Buying from MGM (MusicGuyMic) you will have a ukulele that is setup perfectly when you get it. That way, straight from the box, you'll have a great buying experience.

Funny you should say that...MGM made me an offer I could not refuse on a Kanalea Tenor...fortunately leaving me free to ponder a future Concert size acquisition.

After all, what's more important...paying ungrateful children's college expenses, or buying musical instruments?

Yes...I thought you all would agree....

After all, what's more important...paying ungrateful children's college expenses, or buying musical instruments?

Think of it in terms of building.

They build their character with hard work towards their own betterment and taking nothing for granted in the process. Qualities that will get them far in life.

And you build up a quality instrument collection that will bring you years of enjoyment. Something that will add years to your life and mental faculties.

It's just chock a-block full of win.
:p

I don't know about you but when my child said that college wasn't for him I was sad for a little bit but then realized how much money we'd be saving. Although trade school costs big bucks too.

Whenever you are ready to buy, call MGM. He knows exactly what instrument brand and style that's right for you. It's uncanny.

I'll know when I wake up next to a horse's head (my wife frequently complains of waking up next to the other end)...

Top Bottom