Whatever Happened to Larrivee?

jazzuke

Reaction score
Yes, I know they continue to make excellent guitars...but anyone know why and when they stopped uke production?

I have a soprano: Very well made and well appointed, binding, abalone rosette and other appointments, it's really quite a lovely instrument. Yet, when I inquire on prices, the values are way below what I purchased it for...so, like....wha' happened?

It's curious as I see other makers branching into ukes now (Collings among them).

Interesting....I've not been able to find any info on that news bit.

Though I am seeing a range of sale prices: One on eBay went for a bit over $1,000 in May; While another went for $650 in a peer-to-peer sale recently on a discussion group.

The one I have is first-rate construction and a beautiful musical instrument.

Any additional light you could shed would be greatly appreciated.

copy of a Larrivee post on another forum

I frequently visit this bulletin board to see what's going on in the uke world. Over the years you players have often had a lot of positive feedback on my ukes... Thank-You! I am posting here today to let you know that I recently decided to do another run of soprano ukulele's. There are about 150 of them(mahogany and koa), ranging from entry level 01's to mid level 09's to 10's with master grade Koa. I will finish these ukes over the next several month's. About a dozen being completed a week. I am also building 10 concert size ukes that will be available sometime in August. If you are interested in owning a uke from this run you can find out what is available and order through your favorite dealer. I have read frequent postings concerning hardshell cases for Larrivee ukes. I now have custom fitted hardshell cases for the them. Mini versions of our guitar cases. They are very solid! The hardshell cases will be offered as an option. A softshell gigbag is always included either way. For those of you already owning a Larrivee uke and are interested in geting your hands on a hardshell case, just order one through your Larrivee dealer. It's pretty exciting doing the uke "thing" again, it's been a while! Thanks again for the good words, input and support you have given. John Larrivee Jr. Carpe Diem!

A Larrivee Press Release

JEAN LARRIVEE GUITARS has released a line of deluxe soprano ukuleles to the North American North American

The line features ten different soprano instruments in three sub-categories: the 03 series (no binding), the 09 series (wood binding), and the 10 series (abalone abalone (ăbəlō`nē), All Larrivee ukuleles feature all-solid wood construction, hand-fit dovetail dovetail.

The three models in the 03 series are: US-03-KA, all koa, abalone rosette Rosette
$1,249 U.S. suggested retail: US-03-MH all mahogany, abalone rosette, $849: and US-03-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $849.

The three models in the 09 series are: US-O9-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, koa binding, $1,399 U.S. suggested retail; US-09-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette, maple binding, $974; and US-09-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, maple binding, spruce top, $974.

The four models in the 10 series are: US-10-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, $1,574 U.S. suggested retail: US-10-KA-FES, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, Flying Eagle headstock, $1,699; US-10-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette. abalone binding, $1,074; and US-10-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $1,074.

All ten models have the following dimensions: 7-3/8" lower bout; 5-3/8" upper bout; 4-3/8" waist; 9-3/4" length; 2-1/4" maximum depth; and 14-1/8" scale.

For more information on the new line of soprano ukuleles, write or call Jean Larrivee Guitars, Ltd., 780 East Cordova Cordova, Spain: see Córdoba. Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1M3, Canada; (604) 253-7111. Fax: (604) 253-5447.

I Got One!

Well, I'll be...no need to drool...already got one of the 10 koas....from his run in 2001...I think, I've owned it since 2002, so the math shouldn't be too hard, even for a music major.

Thanks Pippin....I'll just sit back and let the offers roll in.

Anthony

I think there were more than ten Koa's made back then. That was the year Jean was producing an extraordinary number of koa instruments from that large log he procured from Hawaii. I own a twelve string guitar from that lot, and the wood is spectacular. I should have bought a uke, but wasn't playing then. I got the guitar from him at the NAMM show that year, and he had dozens of ukes there, and more at the shop, I'm sure. Most all were koa.

Thank you...I should have said "one of the model 10" koas"....furiously, flying fingers, flinging fatuous fables....

Top Bottom