PDA

View Full Version : Beginner :)

Harris
07-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Hey there guys,

Im looking to buy my first ukulele as soon as possible, i really dont want to spend much as im only 16 and i dont have much money to spare on a uke.

I'm trying to decide between 2 uke's, the mahalo :
http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-330-mahalo-black-soprano-ukulele-4-string-starter-ukelele-uke-bag.aspx

and the makala:

http://www.chappellofbondstreet.co.uk/product.php?product_id=MAK-UKE-SUPER

now im just wondering if anybody has any experience with thes ukuleles and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys,

Harris =D

AnnaUK
07-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Hey Harris,

I think the general consensus is that the Makala dolphin ukes are better.

(I had a red Mahalo as my first uke, and I had to file the bridge and the nut right down to make it playable and the intonation is awful. That's just anecdotal as I can't judge the whole company on one uke.)

From reading other threads on here, I would suggest the Makala. (You might find it needs a little work anyway, but they're great for the money.)

Good luck with your uke journey :)
Anna

toubisard
07-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi

Try the Stagg US 10 (Normans Music shop on the net are cheapest at the moment). The Stagg US 10 is the nicest sounding cheap instrument I have found yet. I tried the Stagg US 40 and it did not match up to the sound quality of the cheapest of the range. Good luck.

Ukeffect
07-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Try the Makala...seriously, they sound and play really well for the money! Now all you have to do is choose a color, or spend a little more and get the natural mahogany! Either way you won't be disappointed.:music:

Harris
07-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi

Try the Stagg US 10 (Normans Music shop on the net are cheapest at the moment). The Stagg US 10 is the nicest sounding cheap instrument I have found yet. I tried the Stagg US 40 and it did not match up to the sound quality of the cheapest of the range. Good luck.

See, i did look at that, but its stagg, and i wasnt sure if that was any good considering its hardly amazing for guitars, has anybody else had any experience with the Stagg US10?

Cheers for the help so far x

danged
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
The Makala, by Kala is a better made ukulele, and sounds and plays nice. Hard to beat for the price!

whetu
07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Out of those two I'd have to vote for the Makala.

I guess the question is though: do you have a price range? Even going up to 50 quid opens your options up a bit...

toubisard
07-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Choices choices. Let us know which one you get. Remember a cheap ukulele might be a good one. An expensive ukulele is usually worth the money and a mid range instrument might be better or worse than the cheap one you started with. What ever you do get good quality strings.

uke552
07-06-2009, 05:23 AM
I own a Makala tenor and was very surprised at what I got for the money. My opinion-of the two-go with Makala.