Using an amplifier with my ukulele

iamdanielle

Reaction score
Yesterday my boyfriend bought an electric guitar and a small amp from someone on craigslist and I tried plugging my ukulele into it and it doesn't sound clean and "uke-like" at all. It sounds like a small electric guitar. I was curious to know if this is just because it's too big of an amp to use with the uke or if I can change some of the dial settings to make it sound better.

The amp is a "Kustom" brand and it is 30 watts. It has dials for "Volume" and"Gain" under the word "Lead," and another "Volume" under the word "Clean" and "Low" "Medium" and "High" under "EQ."

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Yesterday my boyfriend bought an electric guitar and a small amp from someone on craigslist and I tried plugging my ukulele into it and it doesn't sound clean and "uke-like" at all. It sounds like a small electric guitar. I was curious to know if this is just because it's too big of an amp to use with the uke or if I can change some of the dial settings to make it sound better.

The amp is a "Kustom" brand and it is 30 watts. It has dials for "Volume" and"Gain" under the word "Lead," and another "Volume" under the word "Clean" and "Low" "Medium" and "High" under "EQ."

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Most likely, you have a passive pick up on your uke. If that is the case, you will need to use an outboard pre-amp to improve the sound quality. Your uke will also sound better when plugged into an amp designed for acoustic guitars. The sound will vary depending on the amp you are plugged into. I have plugged my passive pick up directly into mixing boards, and it sounded so tinny, but by using an out board preamp/direct box the problem was cured. I have a practice amp that I plug into at home and the sound is very natural and warm without the use of an out board pre-amp.

I reviewed the Acoustic AG60 (acoustic guitar amp) in the last issue of Ukulele Player Magazine.

You can download the magazine here:
http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

The AG60 (60 watts) is $299 at Guitar Center and I really like the tone. The Roland AC60 is a butt kicker, but it is $450 and the Fender Acoustasonic is nice, but they added a few bells and whistles and raised the price another $200 putting it above the Roland. So, the Acoustic is the best deal in town.

There is an AG15 (15 watts) for a lot less. An AG30 is priced halfway between the two.
Read the review and you will have some idea what to expect shopping for a good acoustic amp.

I reviewed the Acoustic AG60 (acoustic guitar amp) in the last issue of Ukulele Player Magazine.

You can download the magazine here:
http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

The AG60 (60 watts) is $299 at Guitar Center and I really like the tone. The Roland AC60 is a butt kicker, but it is $450 and the Fender Acoustasonic is nice, but they added a few bells and whistles and raised the price another $200 putting it above the Roland. So, the Acoustic is the best deal in town.

There is an AG15 (15 watts) for a lot less. An AG30 is priced halfway between the two.
Read the review and you will have some idea what to expect shopping for a good acoustic amp.

I bought the AG30 at Guitar Center yesterday. Great amp! It was on sale for $135.

I bought the AG30 at Guitar Center yesterday. Great amp! It was on sale for $135.

Cool. Deach, that's a great little amp. If I didn't need the power, I would have grabbed the AG30, but, I need a little more volume where I'll be playing this one.

If it doesn't sound clean, that's probably b/c you have the gain on. Gain helps to add distortion, which I think is that guitar sound youre talking about. Sounds like your amp may also have a lead channel and a clean channel. Select the clean channel. If you put it on clean, and dial the gain down, and put your EQ at about 6-7 for high, mid, low (which is generally what I use b/c it's a pretty neutral setting), it should sound good.

You don't need a preamp. I've played my passive Fluke through my amps and it works just fine and sounds ukelike. And your amp is fine too. It's just your settings.

Thanks for the headzup, Deach! As soon as I read your reply, I called the local Guitar Center and had him check the July 4 sale price on an AG30 and an AG60. There was no price reduction on the AG60, but they quoted the AG30 at $138 bucks. I drove to the local Guitar Center about a half hour before they closed. After testing a couple of acoustic electric guitars through it, I'm now a proud owner of an Acoustic AG30. I like the natural, transparent amplified sound that is ideal for acoustic instruments. With the dual XLR - 1/4" jacks, I can see many uses to include a small PA with two microphones for backyard parties and small club venues. Surely I'll be writing a review later this week.

Danielle, the amp you have is for electric guitars. To get the best acoustic sound, use the clean channel. Turn the volume all the way up (max amplifier headroom) and use the gain control for setting the volume level. Adjust the low, medium and high EQ controls for your preferred tone. If it still sounds too "electric", take danged's advice and get an outboard preamp, such as a Baggs Gig Pro or Baggs Para DI. Ric

Ric

Last edited:
Danielle,

I think Danged has nailed it for you. It sounds like it's a piezo pickup. You should get dramatically better results with a preamp. On the preamp, you'll probably have to turn the treble down.

On the amp, keep the Gain down to about 1/3 or less. Anything "clean" is good. Since the amp is designed for an electric guitar with a magnetic pickup, you'll have to play with it to get close to an acoustic sound for your uke.

Top Bottom