I gotta get busy!

dave g

Reaction score
... and make some banjoleles to go with these armrests :)

The original batch I plasma cut by hand with a masonite template. This time I had 50 blanks laser cut by a shop in Springfield (OH) - what a difference! They are all exactly the same to within a thousandth or so. I then bend the legs in a two-piece die, countersink the holes, grind them smooth and polish them (still have 35 more to polish - that's the hard part).

rests.jpg

I am a motorsports journalist by trade and therefore know lot of metal guys. To a man they tell me that wood scares them off because, they say, with metal "I can always weld another piece on."

Yeah, it's funny how we look for different things. A lot of the metal workers I talk to say the same thing. Then, there's the crazy turners. I have wanted a lathe since I started helping my dad in the shop, but I've been too chicken to get one. Aside from my table saw accident, I've been hurt by the drill press and router more than any other tools in the shop. Something about rotational cutting axes and me don't mix.

Yeah, it's funny how we look for different things. A lot of the metal workers I talk to say the same thing. Then, there's the crazy turners. I have wanted a lathe since I started helping my dad in the shop, but I've been too chicken to get one. Aside from my table saw accident, I've been hurt by the drill press and router more than any other tools in the shop. Something about rotational cutting axes and me don't mix.

and ive never been hurt by any tool in the shop (yet... hopefully), but i stabbed myself picking opihi.

I LOVE turning wood, been doing it for about 12 years now, used to sell my works in art galleries in Lahaina and Pa'ia. I recommend wood turning, great therapy. ;)

Dave, any more tenor Banjoleles in store in the future? How about another pineapple?

Don't mean to thread jack, but my dad's side was from Pa'ia. They moved here when there was the big tsunami scare in the 50's? We hardly see each other any more, but I still have some uncles and cousins living in Pa'ia. I wanted to visit when we took our first trip to Maui, but we were too busy doing the tourist thing. We took a charter out to Molokini and all I can say is wow! Biggest fish and vana I have ever seen.

Top Bottom