PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Uke Review

franulele
07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Mainland Concert Mahogany Ukulele

Yes, I know.... Denno just reviewed the same uke. Oh well! :o

Actually I was so impressed with Denno's playing, that I though that if I got a Mainland Concert Mahogany like his, then maybe my playing would miraculously make a quantum leap! :bowdown:

Anyway, this is a wonderful uke, and the service was excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0j4lCNoba0&feature=channel_page

ritzer012
07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
well, that definitely made me want one!

veep
07-05-2009, 05:25 PM
made me want one!

caz
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I like your uke strap. Is that custom?

franulele
07-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I bought my strap a couple of yearsa ago and I've slept since then, but I *think* it is a Planet Waves strap. It's a mandolin strap, cost less than $15, and I got it at Vt Folk Instruments in Burlington. (That part I remember)

It looks like this one:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Leather-Mandolin-Strap?sku=365214#new

Denno
07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Great review! :)

Uncle-Taco
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Yep.
Between you and Denno, I was convinced. I pulled the trigger this morning. :shaka:
Got the mahogany concert/gold sealed tuners/MOP buttons and bought a hard case for it. I'm confident I'll love it.
Can't wait!!! :nana:

Denno
07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Yep.
Between you and Denno, I was convinced. I pulled the trigger this morning. :shaka:
Got the mahogany concert/gold sealed tuners/MOP buttons and bought a hard case for it. I'm confident I'll love it.
Can't wait!!! :nana:

Damn copycat! :cool:

:shaka:

Bratset
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Great rewiev, probably ordering one of those tomorrow

jmerchant
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
what song was that you played in the review? I think I'd like to learn it!

ichadwick
07-18-2009, 01:21 PM
My Mainland cedar-topped tenor is one of my favourite instruments in the herd. Very loud, very bright and great sustain. I recommend their ukes with no hesitation (Mike: you need a Canadian distributor!).

hoosierhiver
07-19-2009, 06:05 AM
My Mainland cedar-topped tenor is one of my favourite instruments in the herd. Very loud, very bright and great sustain. I recommend their ukes with no hesitation (Mike: you need a Canadian distributor!).

Look for Mainland Ukes at the Ottawa Folk Fest!

scooch
07-20-2009, 01:16 AM
How about a european distributor !!:D

12imnew
07-20-2009, 01:28 AM
How about a european distributor !!:D
http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it/
they have some.
they don't have the one that i want, though, so i'm gonna have to import from the states... hello import duty! hahah.

Tanizaki
07-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Any chance of models without the binding? That is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from buying a Mainland. Not a problem with the rope per se; I just am not big on binding in general.

Also, any updates on when we can expect to see banjo ukes from Mainland?

hoosierhiver
07-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Any chance of models without the binding? That is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from buying a Mainland. Not a problem with the rope per se; I just am not big on binding in general.

No plans on a plain model at the moment. I'm supposed to be seeing the proto-types of the banjo-ukes at the end of this month.

RevWill
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM

The Honeybee has a different type of binding than Mike's other ukes. If that binding were available as an option on other Mainlands a lot of us would go broke buying one of each. :eek:

Tanizaki
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
No plans on a plain model at the moment. I'm supposed to be seeing the proto-types of the banjo-ukes at the end of this month.

Cool. Looking forward to the banjo ukes. :shaka:

ichadwick
07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Look for Mainland Ukes at the Ottawa Folk Fest!ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
I'm in Ottawa August 14-19 for the AMO convention, but will be driving home on the 19th. I'm going to MISS this event by two freakin' days!!! It's a five-six-hour drive each way, so I can't just turn around and go back on the next Saturday. Damn, damn, damn, damn.

Are you going to be there? If so, when? If you're there earlier (say Tues or Wed), we could meet (and maybe I could buy a uke...).

hoosierhiver
07-29-2009, 09:18 AM
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in Ottawa August 14-19 for the AMO convention, but will be driving home on the 19th. I'm going to MISS this event by two freakin' days!!! It's a five-six-hour drive each way, so I can't just turn around and go back on the next Saturday. Damn, damn, damn, damn.

Are you going to be there? If so, when? If you're there earlier (say Tues or Wed), we could meet (and maybe I could buy a uke...).

I don't think I'm going, but the Ottawa folklore center will have a Mainland table. The grand prize for the festival raffle will be a Mainland cedar/rosewood concert.

ichadwick
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I plan to visit the OFC during my sojurn in the capital, short as it is, so perhaps they'll have something alluring for my entertainment... last trip they had some OS, Mahalos and a single Cole Clark. None of the former moved me, and the CC was a tad pricey in my opinion. A new Mainland might tickle my fancy... one of those honey-coloured models... I plan to take a uke with me for pratice - might take my Mainland for comparison's sake...

veep
09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
man I need a job so I can get a Mainland