Where have all the kamakas gone?

specialmike

Reaction score
I've been searching on Ebay and I'm kind of concerned as to where all of the Kamakas are at. I wanted to buy another ukulele to join my KoAloha, and just to have, but there aren't any fresh ones on the market. Where did they go?

Anyone have any insight on the matter?

Last edited:
Ebay. MGM doesn't seem to have any. I could order them from Kamaka website, but I was looking for one where I could get a sound clip before I buy it.

E-mail MGM, he usually has them the Soprano/Concert in stock but doesn't list them on Ebay. Also, you can get a tenor from him. Might take him a couple weeks to get it.

"Where have all the kamakas gone?" Long time passing..... :)

You're probably too young to remember the folk song, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?".

Kamaka is very strict about their distribution and only ships directly to Brick & Mortar stores, and no online only dealers. All the Kamaka's on eBay are previously owned. You can find new Kamaka's from the factory and any of their authorized dealers, and they will most likely be the same price. You can find their dealers by going to the Kamaka website.

There are also lots of Kamaka's being shipped to Japan, as they command a higher price there.

Call Sam at Larry's music in Kapaa, Kauai. He usually has a bunch and will play them for you over the phone.

I've been searching on Ebay and I'm kind of concerned as to where all of the Kamakas are at. I wanted to buy another ukulele to join my KoAloha, and just to have, but there aren't any fresh ones on the market. Where did they go?

Anyone have any insight on the matter?

Kamaka controls the amount of ukuleles they produce so that supply never outstrips demand and as Danged said they don't let just anyone sell them.

I bought my uke straight from the factory without hearing it being played and I couldn't have asked for a better uke. The other advantage is that you get a 10% order on all models (unless you order options like different wood) so a tenor for example would be roughly $882 plus shipping.

If you keep looking a used one will come up on eBay, when I was looking to buy one they came up quite regularly, you have to be quick though as they seem to get snapped up quickly.

Evene the local Craigslist Kamakas are rare most locals prefering to keep what they have. I was lucky to find a nice pineapple for $300. Seems like the ebay sales comes in spurts with plenty on the market mainly in the fall.

Saw a story on Kamaka recently. I got the impression that they were making at capacity. I think it's just that worldwide demand is high and production (at their high quality levels) can't quite meet it.

I bought my uke straight from the factory without hearing it being played and I couldn't have asked for a better uke. The other advantage is that you get a 10% order on all models (unless you order options like different wood) so a tenor for example would be roughly $882 plus shipping.

I don't see anything regarding this on their website. Did you have to call the factory and place your order over the phone? Is the 10% discount an ongoing offer?

I don't see anything regarding this on their website. Did you have to call the factory and place your order over the phone? Is the 10% discount an ongoing offer?

They don't seem to ever update their website! I found out about the discount when I emailed them, I spoke to someone called Tekla, she was really helpful. I hope the promotion is still on! Just e-mail them and they'll help you out.

Thanks for the info, upskydowncloud. I just sent them an e-mail.

Thanks for the info, upskydowncloud. I just sent them an e-mail.

No problem, I hope you find the uke you want, they took good care of me and I'm sure they will with you too. Let us know what you decide to do!

Top Bottom