Ever heard of Ilikai Ukulele?

UkeNinja

Reaction score
Hello,

recently, I gave an ukulele as a birthday present to a friend (I dare not drop the holy D-bomb ;)), and in my search for a nice budget uke in a land where Kala, Mainland, Kamoa, Lanikai and friends are not very well represented (Japan), I stumbled upon an Ilikai SOP-150 uke.

Playing it in the shop and later at home, it was actually a very nice and loud uke for the money (around 10.000 yen / $100). Then I looked up the specs, and it turns out to be an all-solid mahogany! Action is fine but could be tweaked (this one was not fondled by the shop owner yet), tuning pegs are OK frictions, finish was very nice and clean, semi-glossy but thin and with a smooth neck/frets. "Breaking it in" over the weekend, I was sorry to let it go, but glad to send it to a friend. Dirty pics under a yellowish lights here.

But... no Ilikai website, I only see them in Japan, and I wondered. Has anyone ever encountered one of these babies overseas (seen from "the island nation")? Do they resemble other Chinese-made ukes?

Sorry for patting myself on the back, I was just so glad to get a good deal and a good present :music:

Hello,

recently, I gave an ukulele as a birthday present to a friend (I dare not drop the holy D-bomb ;)), and in my search for a nice budget uke in a land where Kala, Mainland, Kamoa, Lanikai and friends are not very well represented (Japan), I stumbled upon an Ilikai SOP-150 uke.

Playing it in the shop and later at home, it was actually a very nice and loud uke for the money (around 10.000 yen / $100). Then I looked up the specs, and it turns out to be an all-solid mahogany! Action is fine but could be tweaked (this one was not fondled by the shop owner yet), tuning pegs are OK frictions, finish was very nice and clean, semi-glossy but thin and with a smooth neck/frets. "Breaking it in" over the weekend, I was sorry to let it go, but glad to send it to a friend. Dirty pics under a yellowish lights here.

But... no Ilikai website, I only see them in Japan, and I wondered. Has anyone ever encountered one of these babies overseas (seen from "the island nation")? Do they resemble other Chinese-made ukes?

Sorry for patting myself on the back, I was just so glad to get a good deal and a good present :music:

This is merely a rebranded ohana vineyard ukulele from a chinese factory Shops in Japan such as Kurosawas order as much as distributors here in USA and get their own house brand names put on them. If your is solid wood you got a deal

I see, that is what I expected actually. The description on Kurosawa's site says it's all-solid (hope they are not being pink-sunglassy on me, but they are a respected store), and it looked that way from the soundhole. Sound was big and clean, intonation fine as well. I was surprised as well, although the seller said it was down from 15.000 yen which would be more like $140-150. Sales talk or not, that would make more sense already judging from your store. Anyway, yay!

Top Bottom