DI Preamp settings

jinsk90

Reaction score
So I went out and baught a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI Preamp thanks to the July 4th Sale at the Guitar Center. I've been playing around with the settings, but I'm having some difficulties since I'm a newbie to electronics. Does anyone using a Para Acoustic DI have any suggestions on the setting? BTW, I'm using a Fishman passive pickup.

Thanks.

Wing it.

Use a friendly set of ears to assist you in setting the levels. When strumming the uke in your lap, it's hard to hear the amplified version. The resonant sound will often drown out the amplified.

Either have your friend strum and you sit off a safe distance, or the other way around. Be sure you know what you want in sound. Do you want a LOUD acoustic ukulele, or small electric guitar sound?

You can have whatever you want. Do it. Love it. Uke it.

I have the Baggs Gig Pro. Nearly the same electronics, yours just has more knobs to fiddle with. Most likely you'll have to turn down the treble in order to get a decent sound. I'd start there.

I own and use a LR Baggs Para DI. It's set a little for each instrument I use. Start with all the controls centered and adjust the tone from there. The midrange is parametric. That means you can "sweep" the frequency of the midrange to find where you want to adjust it. The other tone controls are presence, treble and bass. The notch control reduces the low end "howl" feedback by letting you "notch out" the offending frequencies. Phase inversion also helps control feedback.

When I play for large crowds, I'll plug the 1/4" output into one of my stage amps and the XLR jack (using a microphone cable) into one of the P.A. channels.

Top Bottom