Next uke - opinions?

BBcakes

Reaction score
OK...so I've been trying to keep my UAS in check till I memorize major chords, switch chords smoothly, and learn at least 5 songs. I'm hoping to meet my goal by my birthday (Nov. 29).

I currently have a Koa Pili Koko Deluxe Soprano (solid Acacia body) and have been practicing on and off for maybe...1 month? Before I acquired the KPK, I was looking into a Kala Spruce Top Concert from MGM for about $140.

My question:

Would I be "downgrading" if I decided to make my next ukulele a Kala Spruce Top Concert since the back and sides are laminated mahogany?

I was also considering a Mainland Concert (gloss, gold geared tuners/undecided pegs). I've been reading and hearing nothing but positive things about Mainlands. Plus it's solid mahogany and a beautiful ukulele at a nice price.

Have any of you started off with a solid wood uke and then purchased a laminate/solid top? What are your thoughts?

Sorry for rambling. Just preparing for my 1st purchase, as my KPK was a gift!

Last edited:
Laminated sides/back don't make as much of a difference in sound as the top does, so it's not necessarily a downgrade. The spruce top Kalas sound really good for the price.

If you don't mind paying a little more, though, go for the Mainland. It's just a nicer uke all around.

My first uke was an all-solid but I bought a laminate-top Flea that I use just as often, if not more, than any of my other ukes.

Play with your friend's ukes.

Find a store and play with their ukes.

If you find something that appeals and is different enough from what you already have, go for it. Do not question the UAS. (if YOU cannot tell the difference, go to the next uke)

Once you hear/find something else that you like, the only question is where to buy. MGM is solid. Mainland is solid. Your local uke store may be solid. Many outlets are solid. (it's why we like like cars from the '50s - they had big power and boobs!)

We always come back to the ultimate truth: Do not question the UAS. AND: if you cannot tell the difference, give it a pass and enjoy what you have.:love:

I, of course, am going to recommend the Mainland (because I :love: mine so much). And with UAS...there is no wrong next purchase. I think of ukes like tools...there are different ones for different purposes. Maybe you want a "beater" uke to wag around with you in the car or when you go places (I have a Lanikai LU21 for that). In fact, my next UAS fix might be a Kala Kiwi...which you might consider a "downgrade" from my Mainland, but it is what caught my fancy.

Oh, and "I told you so":p You'll end up with both...eventually.

Nothing at all wrong with a solid spruce top KALA always recommend as a first solid 'ukulele. I must say I'm totally in love with my new Mainland pineapple and would not hesitate to recommend a Mainland 'ukulele to anyone. That being said my latest purchase was a FLUKE with plastic body, laminate top, and plastic fret board. I don't consider this a downgrade because this 'ukulele was purchased as my truck & boat 'ukulele something that could take allot of abuse. What's funny is the sound is very unique and likable, and the playability of the Fluke is second to none, I've been playing my Fluke almost exclusively since the day I bought it. :nana:

Thanks guys! I figured there wasn't a right/wrong answer, but didn't want to jump the gun and regret it. Must consult with fellow UU crew first. :)

There are way too many choices out there! UAS...so hard. Want both..NOW!! :biglaugh: Hawaiian K...one day!

Last edited:
I believe there is really no downgrade. Just different ukes with different sounds for different purposes. Get one for the car, one for the kitchen, and one for the bathroom. Get one to strum, one to pluck, and one to plug-in. Get a pineapple cause they are so darn cute, a plastic one cause they are kitsch, a really nice expensive tenor cause they are awesome. Get a banjo uke and a sopranino. If you want to sell them or trade them...do it. There will always be another one to lust after, no matter how many you have. :D

If only I had deep pockets to satisfy my UAS. :rolleyes: I used to think flukes were ugly, but even those are growing on me! :uhoh: HELP!

Personally, after playing the KPK tenor I have (sitting here beside me at work now!)...I'd spend a little more and go for the Mainland. UAS being what it is though, follow what the voices tell you to buy! My Grandpa always told me to think about what I really wanted, then buy the best I could afford...you'll never be disappointed!:music:

Top Bottom