MORE UAS - Will it ever end?

Raygf

Reaction score
I have 7 fine instruments, one of which I just bought 2 weeks ago. So why am I sitting here comparing costs of 3 new instruments for purchase?
ARRGH! This truly is a sickness. I've got it bad and it sure is good! I think?

The 3 Current Culprits
Concert Surf Flea with some uprgrades, $324 shipped
Koa Surf Flea $385.00 shipped
Mainland Solid Cedar Top Pineapple with gig bag, $250.45 shipped

I've always liked the Surf design. The solid top Koa looks great. The Mainlands sure are getting rave reviews. I tried to decide a while ago to only buy solid wood ukes from now on. I guess that leaves the Surf Flea out and it should leave the Koa Flea out, but I'm willing to consider it because I don't have a Flea and know for sure what I'm getting when I order one. I love my tenor fluke. The Mainland Cedar Top Pineapple is just a lovely instrument and more than reasonably priced.
I guess the $130 difference between the Koa Concert Flea and the Mainland Pineapple really comes down to more frets for more money or a solid cedar top/rosewood gem and save $130 towards the next purchase. Help! :uhoh:

:wallbash:
Regards,
Ray

Last edited:
You know you'll eventually get them both -- I think that's how UAS works. Which one do you want the most right now?

You know you'll eventually get them both -- I think that's how UAS works. Which one do you want the most right now?

Good question. :confused: Now, coming up with the answer . . . . and you are right I will eventually get them both. :D Just one uke crazed pup!
Ray

I feel your pain! I thought buying expensive instruments (between Cali and me, we have 3 going on 5 Ko'olaus) would curb this disease.... But there's always something else that catches my eye. At least with the expensive ukuleles, it takes time for them to be built and me to save the money.

I feel your pain! I thought buying expensive instruments (between Cali and me, we have 3 going on 5 Ko'olaus) would curb this disease.... But there's always something else that catches my eye. At least with the expensive ukuleles, it takes time for them to be built and me to save the money.

I put a down payment on a Glyph Tenor in June of 2008 and Dave will start building in :eek: November of 2010. I've already made and deposited the money. Now only 18 or 19 more months to wait. :(
Regards,
Ray

Last edited:
I have 8 fine instruments, one of which I just bought 2 weeks ago. So why am I sitting here comparing costs of 3 new instruments for purchase?

The 3 Current Culprits

I've always liked the Surf design. The solid top Koa looks great. The Mainlands sure are getting rave reviews. I tried to decide a while ago to only buy solid wood ukes from now on. I guess that leaves the Surf Flea out and it should leave the Koa Flea out, but I'm willing to consider it because I don't have a Flea and know for sure what I'm getting when I order one. I love my tenor fluke. The Mainland Cedar Top Pineapple is just a lovely instrument and more than reasonably priced.
I guess the $130 difference between the Koa Concert Flea and the Mainland Pineapple really comes down to more frets for more money or a solid cedar top/rosewood gem and save $130 towards the next purchase. Help! :uhoh:

Regards,
Ray
Those Mainland ukuleles are truly beautiful in my opinion, I am saving for one myself!

I have 7 fine instruments, one of which I just bought 2 weeks ago. So why am I sitting here comparing costs of 3 new instruments for purchase?

The 3 Current Culprits

Regards,
Ray

Don't complain about UAS :p
I wish I could afford UAS hehe.

Btw, the far left Uke in your sig (the non Flea) what kind is that?? looked awesome

Ray

Aloha Ray, If you buy one more I'll drop the 10 'ukulele requirement down to 8 to join 'Ukulele Whore-ders club so you can join too. :D

I can heartily recommend both the Fluke, and the Mainland 'ukuleles though for my purpose I prefer the Fluke a pain vanilla laminate top, plastic fret board model. The Mainland is a work of art the you can play, my cedar/rosewood pineapple is a beauty in every sense.

Btw, the far left Uke in your sig (the non Flea) what kind is that?? looked awesome

From left to right, Kala Mahogany, A/E, F-Hole Archtop Tenor, Bushman Jenny, Lanakai Spruce/Maple Soprano, KoAloha Long Neck Soprano, Martin S-O, Pono PT, and a Tenor Fluke. I also have a white Mahalo, but left it out of this picture.
Regards,
Ray

Aloha Ray, If you buy one more I'll drop the 10 'ukulele requirement down to 8 to join 'Ukulele Whore-ders club so you can join too. :D

I can heartily recommend both the Fluke, and the Mainland 'ukuleles though for my purpose I prefer the Fluke a pain vanilla laminate top, plastic fret board model. The Mainland is a work of art the you can play, my cedar/rosewood pineapple is a beauty in every sense.

Wow, Thanks. I am honored that you would consider lowering the requirement number. I have a white Mahalo and another beginner ukulele that I gave my niece, so one more woud technically put me at 10, but please don't lower the number. I need goals. :D

I told my wife about the Whore-ders club. She got a big laugh out of it.
I'm one lucky man married to a great woman. (and no she is not looking over my shoulder.)

I am seriously leaning toward the Mainland cedar/rosewood. I wish they had gone one more fret for the octave C. My fluke is a plain vanilla/plastic fretboard. Whatever Flea I get will have the upgrades of rosewood fretboard, 4b tuners and walnut neck. I do like the surf design and the tiki flea. It will most likely be the Koa, just because.:shaka:
Regards,
Ray

From left to right, Kala Mahogany, A/E, F-Hole Archtop Tenor, Bushman Jenny, Lanakai Spruce/Maple Soprano, KoAloha Long Neck Soprano, Martin S-O, Pono PT, and a Tenor Fluke. I also have a white Mahalo, but left it out of this picture.
Regards,
Ray

Thanks!
Realy like the Kala Mahogany ! :shaka:

Thanks!
Realy like the Kala Mahogany ! :shaka:
It's very easy to play and sounds nice. It's a bit quiet when played unplugged and I have rarely plugged it in. I'm considering trying to sell it at the end of the month at a local area ukulele event. I need to start letting go of instruments I don't play to buy ones I will play.
Regards,
Ray

Top Bottom