Pete Howlett Mahogany Soprano

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Not so much a review but an appraisal. The instrument can be viewed here but this is what the client said:

It's Loud!!!

Not just loud but a big rich punchy sound too. It's everything I'd
hoped for and more. I really have never played a more powerful sounding
soprano.

Everyone who's played it is immediately astounded by the sound. The
most common first comment is "Wow! It's loud!"

The intonation is the best of any uke I own too. Even a digital tuner
can't fault it really. A couple of cents out on the odd note - totally
undetectable by the ear. That's actually better than my G-String
concert, Kamaka tenor or KoAloha tenor (though they are all fine too
really).

Lovely wood too. Mahogany isn't usually so pretty. Overall, it's a
wonderful instrument.

I'm not sure if Ian was being at all objective but this is a triumph for me - these suckers are so hard to build and anyone starting out doing this would be well to begin with a tenor. And to have someone put a digital tuner on it... scarey:eek:

Pete, do you mind if I put "Pete Howlett" in the thread title?

Absolutely - I don't know the netiquette here and was concerned you might think I was 'advertising' my stuff. I have quite a few reviews like this from clients who make comparisons with other brands which I don't think is always helpful... nevertheless I thought ya'all might want to know what the end user thinks of my stuff. This particualr guy sent back the first one (it was destined for another client who was jerking me around so I gave him back his deposit and advertised it for sale) because it had a tiny blemish. When I got it back, the mailman had squished the front so I repaired it and sold it on eBay as a 'repair'. It took me nigh on a year to get this replacement made and all credit to him, he waited patiently and was rewarded. Still, it's early days...:shaka:

Last edited:
That uke looks absolutely elegant and understated. It sounds incredible given that it was recorded with a computer mic. Nice work, Pete!

I'd love to read these reviews that you get.

Top Bottom