maple vs. walnut necks on Fleas/Flukes

Thumper

Reaction score
Warning: possible dumb newbie question ahead...

I own a concert Flea that came with a walnut neck, and a tenor Fluke with a maple neck, both with plastic fretboards. From what I can tell, the company uses walnut on their more expensive models, but I was curious as to why that is.

Although I love both of these instruments, I've found I actually like the look and feel of my maple neck better than my walnut neck. Is there a reason walnut is considered preferable?

Walnut is a less common so more expensive wood, and many people prefer the color and grain of a dark Walnut over a light maple, though some of the most beautiful wood I have laid eyes on is fiddleback maple with a light stain to bring the grain contrasts out.

Warning: possible dumb newbie question ahead...

I own a concert Flea that came with a walnut neck, and a tenor Fluke with a maple neck, both with plastic fretboards. From what I can tell, the company uses walnut on their more expensive models, but I was curious as to why that is.

Although I love both of these instruments, I've found I actually like the look and feel of my maple neck better than my walnut neck. Is there a reason walnut is considered preferable?

Can you describe the feel of the two necks? I'm curious to know the difference. Thanks!

Can you describe the feel of the two necks? I'm curious to know the difference. Thanks!

The maple neck is noticeably smoother. Not a gloss lacquer, just a really smooth natural finish. The walnut is not as smooth - you can feel some of the vertical grain of the wood running up and down the neck. By contrast, my little $50 Lanikai soprano's neck is much smoother than the walnut Flea neck, which surprised me.

Don't get me wrong - the walnut is not rough. It's just not as silky smooth as the maple, which makes it feel a little thicker than the maple, although I think that's an illusion.

There is also a very slight difference in how the headstocks are cut, but I don't know if that's because of the woods, or because one is a concert neck and one is a tenor. The maple headstock on my tenor Fluke is more square, with sharper angles. The walnut headstock on my concert Flea is slightly more rounded on its corners.

Frankly I think the maple looks better, too, but then again I'm a longtime maple fan - most of my drums are natural maple finish. I also like how it contrasts with the "mango" stain on the soundboard of my Fluke. I bet a maple neck would look sweet with the "bark cloth" finish on my Flea.

Hope this helps...

Some guitar enthusiasts feel that the harder maple neck accentuates the tone of a steel string instrument. With that said I've seen some of the greatest guitarists use both. In fact, my eyeball survey would say that walnut prevails. I don't think it would matter much on a ukulele in any way other than esthetics. Go with what feels best to you.

I have a Soprano Flea - plastic everything and Maple neck.

I also have a Koa Concert which has a Walnut neck.

Apart from the size difference, there is nothing different in how both necks are cut. Because the Walnut is darker it does look to be slightly thicker but the more you compare the more both look the same.

I do know what you mean by the Maple being smoother because at first I didn't think I would like the Walnut, having played with the Maple one for so long and which is silky smooth.
But, it has not taken hardly any time at all now to get used to the Walnut neck and it feels exactly the same as the Maple.

However, where I liked the Maple better - this also goes to looks - the Walnut has grown on me and I like it slightly better now. It just seems to fit in with the rest of the Uke and the upgrades it came with.

Top Bottom