PDA

View Full Version : low g string bridge adjustment?

meatball
07-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I just bought a fremont low g string for my flea soprano. the slot in the bridge as well as on the nut need some modifaction/widening, as the new string dosent fit in the smaller grooves. My question is. If i modify the uke for low g tuning, will it have to stay low g? or can i switch back to standard tuning even though the slots are now wider?

rossjr
07-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a tenor and a concert that jump between the two without any issue.

DaveVisi
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
you might have a buzzing problem going back to high G. The best thing would be to have a nut for each setup.

Ahnko Honu
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Do you have the Rosewood or plastic fret board? Might be a problem if plastic as the nut is one piece with the fret board. I am assuming the low G is an non wire wound string. Wire wound strings wreck havoc in plastic fret boards.

meatball
07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I Have a rosewood fretboard, i think a different nut for each setup would be the way to go.THanks

gobes
07-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Because the flea has a zero fret you should be ok going back and forth.

Link
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
So wierd.. just had this problem. I have the plastic freboard and bridge. I just went ahead and widened the plastic bridge with a flat head screwdriver until the low g went in. I didn't need to do anything at the zero fret slot. I figure it won't cause issues if I go back to high G because I can just double or triple knot the string and it should stay in the bridge. I really advise not to try and widen the plastic nut slot though, for any future readers.