Wound C string vs not..

I believe the wound string allows for higher tension on the string...

Or, looking at it the other way, allows for smaller diameter.

...and it makes squeaky noises when you do chord changes!

Wound strings have a more ringing, piano-like tone to them. I personally like an unwound C on my tenor (Aquila makes a great set) because I think - and this is purely a personal opinion and preference - that it sounds more balanced and uke-y that way. Some folks like the extra ringiness that the wound string gives the bass notes.

It's purely a personal preference. You should try both and see whether you like a wound or unwound C better. Unless you're using an ukulele with a plastic fretboard - a wound C would chew those plastic frets up.

yeah im gonna go with RevWill on this. Its all preference. I dont really care for wound strings either, but some other people do. Uke strings are pretty cheap, so just try out some of each.

I much prefer a wound C string with reentrant tuning, just to offer another opinion.. It gives it way more punch and depth to the sound I think

mealfrog you have me intrigued...what is entrant tuning?

sorry, reentrant tuning just means high G tuning. i just mean that with a high G, i prefer the C string to be wound for more bass, volume, and overall more pleasing tone in my opinion.

mmm got it..ya thats what i was looking for a little more bass i have been looking at either aquila or Ko'olau..any thoughts?

aquilas are known for being on the brighter side, and ko'olaus on the warmer side. i am currently using aquilas with a unwound C on my tenor and i'm missing the sound of the wound C, but I'm happy with the others. I might try their wound C set next.

Yep, that is why I actually DON'T like wound strings...that drives me crazy!:eek:

I hated it too! So I switched the Aquillas off my baritone for Worth. No more squeaking!! But I missed them:(
Whenever I play any slack-key stuff, which is the only thing I play on the baritone, it just seems like something is missing.

The wound strings wear thru and have to be replaced more often.

For me that's enough of a PIA to use unwound. I do find it easier to make smoother chord changes when the strings are all of the same material.

I have a very heavy strum that tends to over-emphasize my G and C strings. Wound strings are simply too loud and tend to overpower everything else. Add to that LonnaB’s point about the wearing out (once a week sometimes) and I just can't use wound strings.

I dropped the wound C almost as soon as it stretched and have recently dumped the wound low G. Wont go back unless I have to.

Last edited:
i am sensing much more negative then the positive here...but im really interested in getting a deeper sound out of my uke so i hope it does the trick

Top Bottom