PDA

View Full Version : Wound C string vs not..

mangouker
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
what does the wound c string doo

UkuleleHill
07-06-2009, 02:02 PM
I believe the wound string allows for higher tension on the string...

DaveVisi
07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Or, looking at it the other way, allows for smaller diameter.

HoldinCoffee
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
...and it makes squeaky noises when you do chord changes!

RevWill
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Wound strings have a more ringing, piano-like tone to them. I personally like an unwound C on my tenor (Aquila makes a great set) because I think - and this is purely a personal opinion and preference - that it sounds more balanced and uke-y that way. Some folks like the extra ringiness that the wound string gives the bass notes.

It's purely a personal preference. You should try both and see whether you like a wound or unwound C better. Unless you're using an ukulele with a plastic fretboard - a wound C would chew those plastic frets up.

nikolo727
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
yeah im gonna go with RevWill on this. Its all preference. I dont really care for wound strings either, but some other people do. Uke strings are pretty cheap, so just try out some of each.

mangouker
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
hey thanks guys appreciate all the help guys i think ima get some and try it out..any sugestions on which to get?

mealfrog41
07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I much prefer a wound C string with reentrant tuning, just to offer another opinion.. It gives it way more punch and depth to the sound I think

mangouker
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
mealfrog you have me intrigued...what is entrant tuning?

wickedwahine11
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
...and it makes squeaky noises when you do chord changes!

Yep, that is why I actually DON'T like wound strings...that drives me crazy!:eek:

mealfrog41
07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
mealfrog you have me intrigued...what is entrant tuning?

sorry, reentrant tuning just means high G tuning. i just mean that with a high G, i prefer the C string to be wound for more bass, volume, and overall more pleasing tone in my opinion.

mangouker
07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
mmm got it..ya thats what i was looking for a little more bass i have been looking at either aquila or Ko'olau..any thoughts?

mealfrog41
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
mmm got it..ya thats what i was looking for a little more bass i have been looking at either aquila or Ko'olau..any thoughts?

aquilas are known for being on the brighter side, and ko'olaus on the warmer side. i am currently using aquilas with a unwound C on my tenor and i'm missing the sound of the wound C, but I'm happy with the others. I might try their wound C set next.

HoldinCoffee
07-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Yep, that is why I actually DON'T like wound strings...that drives me crazy!:eek:

I hated it too! So I switched the Aquillas off my baritone for Worth. No more squeaking!! But I missed them:(
Whenever I play any slack-key stuff, which is the only thing I play on the baritone, it just seems like something is missing.

specialmike
07-07-2009, 03:46 AM
I talked about this a while ago too.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14443&highlight=changing+koaloha+strings

LonnaB
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM
The wound strings wear thru and have to be replaced more often.

For me that's enough of a PIA to use unwound. I do find it easier to make smoother chord changes when the strings are all of the same material.

GrumpyCoyote
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I have a very heavy strum that tends to over-emphasize my G and C strings. Wound strings are simply too loud and tend to overpower everything else. Add to that LonnaB’s point about the wearing out (once a week sometimes) and I just can't use wound strings.

I dropped the wound C almost as soon as it stretched and have recently dumped the wound low G. Wont go back unless I have to.

mangouker
07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
i am sensing much more negative then the positive here...but im really interested in getting a deeper sound out of my uke so i hope it does the trick

uke4chris
07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Worth CT are a nice choice, all flourocarbon strings.