Attention lady uke players! Developments!

Amy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've seen the thread in the Luthier forum about a female-friendly ukulele design, but it's getting really interesting.

Brad Donaldson (Bradford on UU), a very skilled luthier, has taken on the project of designing and building a curved-back uke that may be a solution for women whose chests get in the way of comfortable uke playing. I'm the lucky woman who gets to test his prototype, and I'm super stoked about how it's turning out!

The progress pics start here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164045&postcount=69

Today, Brad sent me pics of the assembled body -- front, curved back (!!) and sides -- and I've put them up as well.

I'm pretty new around here and just wanted to say thank you as well for this forum where a discussion like this one can turn into something really positive that could benefit a whole bunch of us!

:bowdown:

maybe this will work for fat guys like me too....hmmm.. oh the possibilities......:p

It's starting to get really interesting. Congrats on getting a prototype made. Hope it works for you.

The wood in the photo makes me drool it's so gorgeous.

Actually, Nick, the design may have some advantages for a lot of us. As you know, any contact between the body of the player and the back of the uke has a dampening effect on the sound. With the back curving away from you, it may be easier to hold the uke without contacting as much of the back.

Brad

Brad, do you have a website?

No, I do not have a web site. The Guitar Emporium in Seattle and Thiel's Music in Astoria, OR carry my instruments.

Brad

I'm not sure if you've seen the thread in the Luthier forum about a female-friendly ukulele design, but it's getting really interesting.

Brad Donaldson (Bradford on UU), a very skilled luthier, has taken on the project of designing and building a curved-back uke that may be a solution for women whose chests get in the way of comfortable uke playing. I'm the lucky woman who gets to test his prototype, and I'm super stoked about how it's turning out!

The progress pics start here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164045&postcount=69

Today, Brad sent me pics of the assembled body -- front, curved back (!!) and sides -- and I've put them up as well. I'm pretty new around here and just wanted to say thank you as well for this forum where a discussion like this one can turn into something really positive that could benefit a whole bunch of us!

:bowdown:

I'm not finding these pictures of the assembled body. Where do I look for those? I saw the stack of wood pre-assembly, and the beautiful finished uke, but that's it....

I first got distracted by the fact that you run knitty. :eek: <3

And then I got distracted by the uke pics. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think all you man boob guys better get in line. There's enough of us busty women here to keep Brad busy for his lifetime.

Top Bottom